Thread: Geothermal Self-Install

Post Likes

Geothermal Self-Install

This past heating season with my oil fired Hydronic system I utilized 450 gallons of oil. I shutter to think of what it is going to cost to get my tank refilled this Summer.

I live in a 1450 sq ft Ranch home built in the 60's. It is maginally insulated.

About 8 years ago I installed central A/C which included the necessary ductwork. I have 1 large return in a hallway and 3 smaller returns in the bedrooms. 2 supplies in the living room and the same in the kitchen/ dining room. There are also supplies in the bedrooms. I am currently utilizing a Coleman 10 SEER condensor and air handler.

I have located a local Geothermal contractor that will install my horizontal ground loop for a fraction of the full installed price. I can purchase the water/air heat exchanger from my local distributor and from what I have read, it dosen't seem to be any more difficult than the many split systems that I have installed. Am I missing something?

I fully realize that you do not know my qualifications, but I have been servicing and installing A/C systems for 25 years.

I will keep my oil system as my emergency back-up system.
    Last edited by PGPGSR; 06-11-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Additions
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Usually stuff like this is best discussed in the "Professional technical Forums", if you are a pro apply for membership and we can discuss it there.

We do not want DIY stuff discussed here in this forum!

Follow the links in my signature line.

Thanks.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in