Thread: Manual J

Manual J

I bought a Spec home about a year ago and started to have cooling problems from day one. Its a two story house with the bedrooms and my office upstairs. They installed a 3 ton carrier unit and 2 zones with a furnace. Now that the hot days are back the unit can’t keep up with demand. The upstairs stays around 74 in the am but around 5:00 pm its 80 degree or higher. The contractor came out and looked at it and told me that if it is 95 degrees outside that the inside temp of 80 degrees is normal and kept throwing the Manual J up. I know that the Manual J is a standard but I have worked for the company that installed the system and they never did Manual J. It was the rule of thumb. I live in South Carolina the home is around 2800 sqft. I really would like some guidance in how to handle this issue because having a bedroom at 80 degrees is no fun.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ask them for a copy of the manual J and what design criteria they use, indoor and outdoor design temps. 80 degrees indoor is not standard design temps.

Yep. Tell them you want to see the hard copy.

If they hee haw, then you know they didn't do one.
    If yoou want, you can do your own. The fee is 50 dollars for it.
    http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am going to request a copy just for records. I know the system isnt working right but the contractor is a large home builder that is pulling out of my area. The company that installed my unit isnt is even working with the builder anymore.

[QUOTE=beenthere;1887344]Yep. Tell them you want to see the hard copy.
    If yoou want, you can do your own. The fee is 50 dollars for it.
    I am going to call a test and balance company and have them test the system. I would do it but I would rather have someone that knows what there doing. I spend to much time on a computer now

One big advantage to running the HVAC calc program your self is that you get to see where all of your energy dollars are going - and maybe make some educated decisions on how to cut down on some of those losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecomputerguy View Post
    I bought a Spec home about a year ago and started to have cooling problems from day one. Its a two story house with the bedrooms and my office upstairs. They installed a 3 ton carrier unit and 2 zones with a furnace. Now that the hot days are back the unit can’t keep up with demand. The upstairs stays around 74 in the am but around 5:00 pm its 80 degree or higher. The contractor came out and looked at it and told me that if it is 95 degrees outside that the inside temp of 80 degrees is normal and kept throwing the Manual J up. I know that the Manual J is a standard but I have worked for the company that installed the system and they never did Manual J. It was the rule of thumb. I live in South Carolina the home is around 2800 sqft. I really would like some guidance in how to handle this issue because having a bedroom at 80 degrees is no fun.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
    I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and I can maintain 75 degrees inside when it is 95 degrees outside. That is what we design for. In Columbia, SC; the outdoor design is a little warmer.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I talked to the contactor today and requested a copy of my Manuel J and he told me “That I would have to take that up with the HVAC company”??? So I am calling the better business and then a lawyer. I did HVAC for about 9 years before I got hurt on the job which 5 of them were with the company that installed my system. I not saying the company that installed it did a bad job but, I just want to see snowflakes in the bedroom you know nice cold sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    In Columbia, SC; the outdoor design is a little warmer.
    Great i live in Columbia.

The builder may not have copies of the manual J. In which case, the HVAC congtractor should.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Thecomputerguy View Post
    I talked to the contactor today and requested a copy of my Manuel J and he told me “That I would have to take that up with the HVAC company”??? So I am calling the better business and then a lawyer. I did HVAC for about 9 years before I got hurt on the job which 5 of them were with the company that installed my system. I not saying the company that installed it did a bad job but, I just want to see snowflakes in the bedroom you know nice cold sheets
    Lawyers are a slow way to acomplish anything. Figure 2 to 5 years for results. The longer it takes, the more money they make.

Try the LLR Licensing Board for Contractors. They have real power.
    1-803-896-4686. That is the number for the Commercial Licensing Board. I have a commercial license so they regulate me. If your contractor has a residential specialty license, the commercial people will know the phone number for the residential licensing board. I believe they operate under the real estate commission.

If you are serviced by Santee Cooper (Electric Power), they have pull with many of the contractors as well because of their Good Cents Program.

Good luck.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Did you tell the designers you would be using the room as a office?

That would have some extra though if man.j was done.
    Last edited by captube; 06-11-2008 at 10:52 PM.