Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I didn't mean you couldn't go with a 2-stage unit from Amana or another manufacturer; I meant that "no," it typically isn't a problem going up to the next full-ton size for a dual-stage unit, if the size below the full-ton size is the correct size, which is why I said if 2.5 tons is the correct size.
    Okay understood. Since Goodman does not have a 2 stage in the 3 ton unit, I am stuck with 14-15 SEER single stage. (goodman)

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Okay understood. Since Goodman does not have a 2 stage in the 3 ton unit, I am stuck with 14-15 SEER single stage. (goodman)

Clay
    Amana and Goodman are pretty much the same thing....Amana has the options you are looking for and if your installer can get you Goodman....there is a good chance they can get you the Amana too.
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Amana and Goodman are pretty much the same thing....Amana has the options you are looking for and if your installer can get you Goodman....there is a good chance they can get you the Amana too.
    Thanks Bender.

What model do I start looking at? My installer mentioned he does Amana as well.

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Thanks Bender.

What model do I start looking at? My installer mentioned he does Amana as well.

Clay
    Never mind, I answered my own question. They have the asz16 in a 2 speed 2.5 ton as well as the 18 in a 3 ton.

More questions to follow................

What a great forum!

Amana's 16 seer unit is the ASZ160361

It's got the two stage Copeland scroll compressor ... it's also a 3 ton
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Amana's 16 seer unit is the ASZ160361

It's got the two stage Copeland scroll compressor ... it's also a 3 ton
    Okay, going back to my original question, is it acceptable to go with the 3 ton unit in a 2 stage, or stick with the 2.5ton?

If so I'd probably go with the 18SEER unit.

Clay

Yes it's acceptable. It will give you a little more capacity during those days you need it and run in low stage most of the time. This is assuming 2.5 tons is the right size. The Amana dual-stage unit would be a good upgrade from the Goodman 14 SEER in my opinion.

How do you put together a part number for these?

I am looking at the asz18 and the variable speed air handler, in the 3ton model.

Clay

ASZ18036 (h/p) + AEPF3036 or AEPF4260 (a/h) = 18.00 SEER, 13.00 EER, and 9.25 HSPF--these are excellent efficiency ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    ASZ18036 (h/p) + AEPF3036 or AEPF4260 (a/h) = 18.00 SEER, 13.00 EER, and 9.25 HSPF--these are excellent efficiency ratings.
    How'd you do that?

Amana has technical specifications here (036 matchup ratings are on page 18): http://www.amana-hac.com/Portals/1/pdf/SS-ASZ18.pdf

And if you know the Amana model nomenclature, you can enter the model numbers into the ARI directory to get these ratings.

Unless you have a lot of A/C hours per season, it will make little difference in cooling costs.

I personally like the Goodman 14-SEER with a scroll compressor & a TXV metering device. If Installed properly with plenty of airflow at proper static pressures & an attainable 450-cfm/ton of cooling, it should do the job with good payback.

Optimal Airflow is extremely important toward optimal Btu/hr performance! - udarrell

Unless you have a lot of A/C hours per season, it will make little difference in cooling costs between a 14 or 16-SEER. Don't take the SEER sales charts at face value.

I personally like the Goodman 14-SEER with a scroll compressor & a TXV metering device. If Installed properly with plenty of airflow at proper static pressures & an attainable 450-cfm/ton of cooling, it should do the job with good payback.

Optimal Airflow is extremely important toward optimal Btu/hr performance! - udarrell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast