Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which makes more sense?

Post Likes
    How do you put together a part number for these?

I am looking at the asz18 and the variable speed air handler, in the 3ton model.

Clay

Post Likes
    ASZ18036 (h/p) + AEPF3036 or AEPF4260 (a/h) = 18.00 SEER, 13.00 EER, and 9.25 HSPF--these are excellent efficiency ratings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    ASZ18036 (h/p) + AEPF3036 or AEPF4260 (a/h) = 18.00 SEER, 13.00 EER, and 9.25 HSPF--these are excellent efficiency ratings.
    How'd you do that?

Post Likes
    Amana has technical specifications here (036 matchup ratings are on page 18): http://www.amana-hac.com/Portals/1/pdf/SS-ASZ18.pdf

And if you know the Amana model nomenclature, you can enter the model numbers into the ARI directory to get these ratings.

Post Likes
    Unless you have a lot of A/C hours per season, it will make little difference in cooling costs.

I personally like the Goodman 14-SEER with a scroll compressor & a TXV metering device. If Installed properly with plenty of airflow at proper static pressures & an attainable 450-cfm/ton of cooling, it should do the job with good payback.

Optimal Airflow is extremely important toward optimal Btu/hr performance! - udarrell

Post Likes
    Unless you have a lot of A/C hours per season, it will make little difference in cooling costs between a 14 or 16-SEER. Don't take the SEER sales charts at face value.

I personally like the Goodman 14-SEER with a scroll compressor & a TXV metering device. If Installed properly with plenty of airflow at proper static pressures & an attainable 450-cfm/ton of cooling, it should do the job with good payback.

Optimal Airflow is extremely important toward optimal Btu/hr performance! - udarrell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Unless you have a lot of A/C hours per season, it will make little difference in cooling costs.

I saw a number of 1402 hours cooling for my area. Is that a lot?

I have to buy a new unit anyway, what would the payback difference be between the Goodman 14SEER and the Amana 18SEER? That's really the question at this point.

Clay

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    This is my system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    I have to buy a new unit anyway, what would the payback difference be between the Goodman 14SEER and the Amana 18SEER? That's really the question at this point.

Clay
    Going with the 18 SEER, 2 stage, would solve your 2.5 ton/3 ton dilemma.

These 2 stage systems are more for comfort than cost savings.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Hold up a minute.

To the OP, is your current A/C a 2 ton unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Hold up a minute.

To the OP, is your current A/C a 2 ton unit.
    My Current broken unit is 2.0ton, which according to the load calc was .5 tons small.

Clay

Post Likes
    Then you don't have ductwork big enough for 3 tons.

Have you, or has your contractor brought up anything about needing to remediate your ductwork and the number, or size of your supplies and returns to use a 3 ton.
    Basically, your 2 ton was suppose to be moving 800 CFM, with a 3 ton, supposedly you will need to move 1200 CFM. Big difference.

Post Likes
    Then you don't have ductwork big enough for 3 tons.

Have you, or has your contractor brought up anything about needing to remediate your ductwork and the number, or size of your supplies and returns to use a 3 ton.
    Basically, your 2 ton was suppose to be moving 800 CFM, with a 3 ton, supposedly you will need to move 1200 CFM. Big difference.
    you suck! jk

I thought I was done with this. How do I know if it's too small a duct system?

Clay

Post Likes
    Have your contractor do a static pressure test.
    If your system is currently moving 800 CFM at .6" static, then at 1200 CFM your static will increase to 1.35". Which is outside the ability of a residential blower.
    Your TESP would need to be under .4" to install a 3 ton.
    He can also measure it, and determine if it will handle it. BNut an actual pressure test is more accurate.

Post Likes

Talking

Spoke to my installer again. He says they measured the length and diameters of the ducts, and he didn't recommend going the 3 ton route. He said I was pushing the envelope a little too much. He said there would be too much back pressure, and would not de humidify as well. Go figure.

You guys have been a great help, and wealth of information! Thanks for keeping me in line and not allowing me to waste my cash!

I think I finally found a good company to work with, and some good people here as well.

I'm going with his first recomendation, with the VS air handler upgrade.

How do you guys feel about Electrostatic filters?(ducks and covers)

Post Likes
    How do you feel about having to pay to replace an expensive VS motor because you used a restrictive electrostatic filter?

A 4" media filter will work as well, and not kill the VS motor.

Post Likes
    How do you feel about having to pay to replace an expensive VS motor because you used a restrictive electrostatic filter?

A 4" media filter will work as well, and not kill the VS motor.
    Yeah that last one was a little dig. I have a 4" in my current unit!

Clay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in