Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which makes more sense?

My heat pump went out and can't be repaired reasonably.

I had a load calc done, and found out that the original was about a half ton shy of what it should be and that a return should have been installed on the lower floor.
    I actually went through the numbers with the technician and he was correct.

The company is recommending at the base level a new Goodman 2.5 ton at 14 SEER. I would like to step it up a little and get the 16 SEER. He says he will investigate my options.

As best I can tell, Goodman doesn't make a 2.5 ton 16 SEER unit is this correct?

Should I stick with the 14 or step up to a 3 ton 16SEER. Also, is a VS unit available, and a 2 speed pump?

I appreciate your recommendations and advice!

Clay

There's always other brands.

16 SEER Goodman only has a dual-stage compressor in the 5-ton size. And you're right, there are no half-ton sizes for the SSZ16. I do not see any other way of getting 16 SEER in your size, unless you went with the single-stage 16 SEER Goodman.

As Jay said, there are other brands besides Goodman to investigate if you want a 2-stage unit in the 3-ton size. Your Goodman dealer can probably get you a 3-ton Amana ASZ16 2-stage heat pump, which provides 16.00 SEER, 12.50 EER, and 9.75 HSPF.

Yeah...Goodman makes 16 seer heat pumps....

I think it's the SSZ.....It's also an R-410A unit....GOOD CHOICE
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 41 View Post
    There's always other brands.
    Actually there is no need to go to another brand....Goodman has it all, just as any other manufacturer does.

Sounds to me like this guy has found a pretty good technician here....manual J has been performed and it sounds like the OP has a good relationship with him....aren't these some of the things we always preach???? It's not the equipment that matters its the service you are provided and the quality of the installation.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Actually there is no need to go to another brand....Goodman has it all, just as any other manufacturer does.

Sounds to me like this guy has found a pretty good technician here....manual J has been performed and it sounds like the OP has a good relationship with him....aren't these some of the things we always preach???? It's not the equipment that matters its the service you are provided and the quality of the installation.....
    I didn't mean he should go with another brand, I don't know what Goodman has to offer, as always,the key to a reliable unit, is the company you trust to do the best job, and take care of you.

Thanks Guys.

My question really is whether it's worth it to up size. Is it a bad idea to go 3 ton versus the sized 2.5 ton?

I'm not worried about the extra cost of the unit so much as whether it will dehumidify well enough, will it make me more or less comfortable, and will I recoup the cost eventually?

I really don't know much about HVAC equipment other than theory.

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Is it a bad idea to go 3 ton versus the sized 2.5 ton?
    No, not if 2.5 tons is the correct size. Upsizing in dual-stage units is common and the typical way of doing things, of course once proper sizing is established. Remember, the 16 SEER Goodman is not dual stage in the 3-ton size.

Thanks Guys.

My question really is whether it's worth it to up size. Is it a bad idea to go 3 ton versus the sized 2.5 ton?

I'm not worried about the extra cost of the unit so much as whether it will dehumidify well enough, will it make me more or less comfortable, and will I recoup the cost eventually?

I really don't know much about HVAC equipment other than theory.

Clay
    If the load calc. was done right, (I am not involved in that at work), you should be fine, did you get more than one quote?

If your load calculation says that you need a 3 ton, then go with the 3 ton.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    No, not if 2.5 tons is the correct size. Upsizing in dual-stage units is common and the typical way of doing things, of course once proper sizing is established. Remember, the 16 SEER Goodman is not dual stage in the 3-ton size.
    Okay then. 2.5ton it is.

I trust this installer but want to verify.
    Someone asked me if I got more than one quote. The answer is "not on this unit", and the reason is that I had a regular company that came out and maintained my system. They were small but "were" reliable. Then they stopped calling me back and eventually never showed up anymore. Unforunately, that's when it decided to go, and I believe it leaked out the freon which caused the pump to lock up.

Anyway, I had 2 companies come out and one said my system was installed improperly, needed to be 3 to 4 tons, and was going to cost 7-10 thousand dollars to fix. He did this without ever walking in the house, at 9:30 in the evening. $95.00 for his efforts.

The second said yeah it's locked up, measured all the windows, got the size of the house, asked how many people lived there, and even what temperature I liked to keep it. Didn't charge for the initial visit, told me he would look for a "like" unit and give me a quote for it. He could not find one , and offered me a Trane, or a Goodman. I asked him what he had at home and he said Goodman.

one more question before I pull the trigger; What is the best Goodman unit in 2.5tons? Do they have VS air handlers and such, and is it worth it to upgrade these?

Thanks all!
    Clay

Okay then. 2.5ton it is.

I trust this installer but want to verify.
    Someone asked me if I got more than one quote. The answer is "not on this unit", and the reason is that I had a regular company that came out and maintained my system. They were small but "were" reliable. Then they stopped calling me back and eventually never showed up anymore. Unforunately, that's when it decided to go, and I believe it leaked out the freon which caused the pump to lock up.

Anyway, I had 2 companies come out and one said my system was installed improperly, needed to be 3 to 4 tons, and was going to cost 7-10 thousand dollars to fix. He did this without ever walking in the house, at 9:30 in the evening. $95.00 for his efforts.

The second said yeah it's locked up, measured all the windows, got the size of the house, asked how many people lived there, and even what temperature I liked to keep it. Didn't charge for the initial visit, told me he would look for a "like" unit and give me a quote for it. He could not find one , and offered me a Trane, or a Goodman. I asked him what he had at home and he said Goodman.

one more question before I pull the trigger; What is the best Goodman unit in 2.5tons? Do they have VS air handlers and such, and is it worth it to upgrade these?

Thanks all!
    Clay
    www.GoodmanMFG.com. Go to "products", then select "heat pumps" for a review of what Goodman offers.

A few words of advice from a fellow Goodman heat pump homeowner (GSH14036):

- Make sure you get the optional TXV for the indoor coil. All Goodman systems are ARI-rated with a thermostatic expansion valve and not the check flowrater that is supplied with the unit.
    - The 1" filter rack in the air handler is poorly designed. I have to literally tear out the old filter and surgically replace a new one. Get a separate 4" media filter cabinet and avoid my monthly aggravation.

Good luck.

I didn't mean you couldn't go with a 2-stage unit from Amana or another manufacturer; I meant that "no," it typically isn't a problem going up to the next full-ton size for a dual-stage unit, if the size below the full-ton size is the correct size, which is why I said if 2.5 tons is the correct size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast