Difference in Carrier ABA and ACA?

I have put it off long enough and am now going to replace the entire A/C system. I know pricing is not allowed here, but this question is just about a difference between two units. Could someone please tell me if there is a reason to pay $300 more for a Carrier 24ACA324A003 instead of a 24ABA324A003? The tech describes the ACA as better and the ACA as good. Thanks for any input. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom34diy View Post
    The tech describes the ACA as better and the ACA as good. Thanks for any input. Tom
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

The ACA is the comfort series and includes the 10-year compressor warranty. The ABA is the base and only has a 5-year warranty on the compressor. The ACA is better looking and built a little better too.

4jime, Thanks for the information. I guess the ACA might be worth the extra money. Thanks again. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 4jime View Post
    The ACA is the comfort series and includes the 10-year compressor warranty. The ABA is the base and only has a 5-year warranty on the compressor. The ACA is better looking and built a little better too.
    Ditto. The 24ABA is something a builder would put in. The 24ACA has a compressor sound blanket, low and high pressure switches (standard--could be added to 24ABA), and louvered coil protection, among other features.

So, can I get a little more info? It sounds like the Carrier ACA is worth a little more, but, would it be worth just $200 more than the Carrier ACA to get a Trane 4TTR3024A1000, or is the ACA plenty good enough for a replacement for the second floor of our 10 year old house? Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom34diy View Post
    So, can I get a little more info? It sounds like the Carrier ACA is worth a little more, but, would it be worth just $200 more than the Carrier ACA to get a Trane 4TTR3024A1000, or is the ACA plenty good enough for a replacement for the second floor of our 10 year old house? Tom
    First let me make sure that you are replacing the indoor coil as well for a matched system, correct? Trane, Carrier, whatever... should cool fine if sized and installed properly. Which contractor did you like better? We all will have our brand preferences. Now I like Trane, but I'd take the scroll compressor in the Carrier instead (they are pretty similar as far as warranty and features go). Are you getting anything else besides a new condenser and coil, such as a new thermostat, lineset, etc.? I assume this is just going with a single-stage furnace with no variable-speed blower, correct?

It would be to replace just the coil inside and the compresser outside, using the existing lines, thermostat, etc.. I am not clear from the quote whether thes new ones quoted will use the new type freon or not, which is what I want it to do. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Tom

Both of those units use the new refrigerant. Since this is the case, I would make sure they clean the current refrigerant lines out well since you are changing refrigerant types and leftover "stuff" in the lines isn't good. A new lineset is advisable, but it isn't always a feasible option. People have seemed to be just fine with cleaned/purged/flushed linesets. And you're welcome.

Thanks for resolving the freon question for me. And, the furnace is not variable speed. It, too, is 10 years old and came with the house.

The guy who gave this quote was here a long time doing calculations, so I guess he decided the the existing 2 ton was the right size. Tomorrow I will get another quote. Thanks again. Tom

Does anyone think I will regret going with a 2-ton Rheem RANL-024JAZ (new type refrigerant) for $1000 less than the Carrier ACA 2-ton, by the same installer offering the ACA? Both units have the same 10 year warranty. Is the Carrier really worth that much more money? Tom

I'm surprised there is that much of a difference in price. Rheem is a great product nevertheless. Brand shouldn't be a huge concern if you've found a good contractor.