Filter pressure drop

Wondering if any of you guys know the pressure drop of your typical Big Box 16 x 25 pleated filter (3M, Filtrete, etc.) @ 1600 CFM. I think they're usually MERV 8.

Thanks.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Wondering if any of you guys know the pressure drop of your typical Big Box 16 x 25 pleated filter (3M, Filtrete, etc.) @ 1600 CFM. I think they're usually MERV 8.

Thanks.

AM
    About 0.8" wc. Why would you use such a small filter for that much air flow?
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

My guess is he is probably trying to explain to someone why not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    About 0.8" wc. Why would you use such a small filter for that much air flow?
    Thanks, guys. Never realized they were that bad. No information on the package and couldn't find anything on the net. Actually it's a bit of a story.

Having system replaced shortly. Current furnace is 125,000 BTU and 4 ton a/c; both are 20 years old.

Had been using the blue fiberglass filters, changing monthly, but the last time I went to buy they had these weird ones (can't describe them) that were very thin.

I didn't think they were worth anything, so I started using the pleated ones. Weren't a problem with heating, but seemed to cut air flow a bit on a/c.

So for the little time remaining, I put one of those blue jobs back in, and the flow did improve.

Anyway, the new system will consist of a Rheem Mod (090) and RARL-048-JEZ 2 stage a/c.

But, not to worry: the system will include an Aprilaire 2200 filter (pressure drops: .12" @ 1200 CFM; .18" @ 1600 CFM).

AM