If a home a/c system is missing 1 - 3 ounces of refridgerant is this noticable?

I have a 1,200 sqft home. I have a Lennox system. I'm not sure of the ton but the furnace is 65K BTU and it's a r-22 system. It's not cooling that well that is the system is taking a very long time to get to the target temp and it's cycling on and off (compressor). I think it's a little low on refridgerant. I called a couple service people in the area and their starting price is for 1 - 3 ounces of refridgerant then they charge by the ounce after it gets past 3 ounces. My question is that is 1 -3 ounces a big deal??? In past experiences if a system is low how much is it low by?

1-3 ounces is not noticable.

The high pressure hose on an average refrigerant guage holds 2-4 oz.

I think they are charging for 1-3 pounds of refrigerant.

Agreed 1-3 ozs would not affect the cooling ability, most likely pounds they are talking about, have you noticed your system freezing up? Compressor is the only thing cycling off? do you have a low pressure cut out on your system? When is the last time the condenser coil was cleaned, filters checked? This is just a few of the many things that need to be checked and the only one recommended to do yourself is the filter. Need to have qualified tech come out and go through system, my guess is he can not only fix your problem, but probably leave it operating better than you even knew it could.

I remember seeing an invoice for a clean a few years ago. Our best tech added 4 ounces of juice to a residential system. Increased temp drop over the evap from 11 to 16. So, yes, a if you are right on the border, a few ounces can make some diff. This could have been an extreme case and usually will take more than 4 ounces.

I also saw a statistic once that a unit just 10% low costs 20% more to run. Figure a smaller unit might have a 48 ounce charge (3#) so 10% is not even 5 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I remember seeing an invoice for a clean a few years ago. Our best tech added 4 ounces of juice to a residential system. Increased temp drop over the evap from 11 to 16. So, yes, a if you are right on the border, a few ounces can make some diff.
    on a 90 + degree day , I could see that happening for sure

I remember seeing an invoice for a clean a few years ago. Our best tech added 4 ounces of juice to a residential system. Increased temp drop over the evap from 11 to 16. So, yes, a if you are right on the border, a few ounces can make some diff. This could have been an extreme case and usually will take more than 4 ounces.

I also saw a statistic once that a unit just 10% low costs 20% more to run. Figure a smaller unit might have a 48 ounce charge (3#) so 10% is not even 5 ounces.

I'm more convinced that happened because as he did the good cleaning the home got humid. As it ran and he "charged it", the moisture in the air lowered, raising the TD.

on a system with only 6 lbs charge, 4 oz is only 4%.

Obviously the total system charge is important, but 4 oz is not even noticable an a average split system.

Our best tech added 4 ounces of juice to a residential system. Increased temp drop over the evap from 11 to 16

Scarey thought eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post

Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Weather the average residential system will show a difference with a 1 to 3 oz. loss of charge depends on that individual system.

Charging for refrigerant by the oz is not common for resi A/C.
    Nothing wrong with doing it though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Depending on weather it is a TXV or a piston coil, depending on weather the unit is more or less then 3 oz. of refrigerant low, load conditions, etc. The conditions are not endless, but they are varied to say the least. !-3 ounces could significantly change the TD............ or not.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.