Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Apology accepted.

I would go with the first option, if I remember it was just replace the evap coil since the condenser is not that old and in good shape. You could replace the condenser in a few years or when needed and still have a 13 SEER system. This is your least expensive option and depends on your budget, how often you run your a/c, and your electric rates.

If you opt for the indoor coil only, I would make sure that the contractor installs a TXV at the new coil. The thermostatic expansion valve will ensure proper refrigerant flow between the old condenser and new evap coil (which wil be a little larger than the old coil).

Additionally, I would make sure you get a 5 year minimum warranty on the coil and 1 year minimum labor warranty. Warranties written on quote.

Good luck.
    Thanks. The condenser unit is 10 years old and looks pretty fugly. Looks like what I'll end up with is the Carrier evap coil that can do R-22 or Puron (with a valve swap). That way I can continue with the existing outside unit and R-22 and if I get another 2 or 3 years out of it and then switch to a 410 unit...I can still use the evap coil. Is this thinking correct?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolItNow View Post
    Thanks. The condenser unit is 10 years old and looks pretty fugly. Looks like what I'll end up with is the Carrier evap coil that can do R-22 or Puron (with a valve swap). That way I can continue with the existing outside unit and R-22 and if I get another 2 or 3 years out of it and then switch to a 410 unit...I can still use the evap coil. Is this thinking correct?
    it's not really recommended to reuse the coil/lineset when swapping to 410 from 22, also, whats saying the coil will be proper for a new system in 2 or 3 yrs, the matchups change every yr.

I would just bite the bullet and upgrade everything now, with whatever system fits your budget.
    You can't fix stupid

Thanks gary. There's always one on every forum that sucks up to the mods. You sound like you would desperately like to be one. Speaking of vents, how much should I expect to pay for a good attic vent.....OH, that's right.....no pricing.
    Twilli says yea, were is Weber?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilli says all pro's meet in secret chat room tonight at 9pm for price fixing meeting.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Angry To Vent or NOT?

Speaking of vents,
    how much should I expect to pay for a good attic vent.
    Attics do not necesssarily need to be vented. Insulate with spray foam.

http://www.buildingscience.com/searc...ableText=attic
    ... ... BD-102
    Paying for a vent could be a very long term proposition!

VENTING comes in or is expressed in many forms ...
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Cool Energy Conservation__ on a more personal level

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says all pro's meet in secret chat room tonight at 9 pm for price fixing meeting.
    Why Secret? ... 2X Normal at > 89'F !
    This is based on our National Security ( or read "secrets") interests.

A.K.A.: CZAF ... Climate Zone Adju$tment Factor
    . . . . . _ _ _ _ is actually based on one very important physical law.
    ++++++++++++ Conservation of Energy
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

A 10 year-old condenser would be a toss-up for replacement. It could last 5 more years or 5 more months.

The decision really depends on your current finances and how often you run the a/c system. If you are in a climate like Florida, with long hot summers, I would replace both. You'll get a nice jump in efficiency replacing a 10 year-old system with a new 13 SEER minimum system. If your electric rates are high, or have the potential to jump up (and you use the system a lot), now may be the time for replacement.

I don't really see a problem with your plan (unless you have a heat pump, and not straight a/c, then you must replace both as a matching set). The new evap coil should be capable of being mated to a future 410 condenser for a 13 SEER system. The R22 TXV would have to replaced with a 410 TXV. Replacing the old R22 lineset with a virgin lineset for the 410 system is always a good idea.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says yea, were is Weber?
    Its funny where some of the places my name pops up at!
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12