Lennox Humiditrol?

Looking for feedback on the Humiditrol feature. Looking to add that to a system in North Florida. Don't really have a humidity problem, so I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeltucker04 View Post
    Looking for feedback on the Humiditrol feature. Looking to add that to a system in North Florida. Don't really have a humidity problem, so I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money.
    Clearly, the reheat system removes moisture with only a little over-cooling. While maintaining 75^F, 50%RH, check the lbs. of moisture removed per kw of electricity. Less than 2 lbs. per kw counting the fan energy. The other issue is the amount of moisture retained on the cooling coil at the end of the dehumidifing cycle. The high eff. coils retain a couple lbs. of moisture per ton of capacity. The is 6-8 lbs. of moisture on the coil that slowly revaporates back into the home. One lb. of moisture humidifies 1,000 sqft. of home 8-9%RH. Also the ducts of the a/c will alway be damp during the a/c, dehumidifing cycle. If your home is getting an fresh air change every 3-4 hours, you would have high humidity every nite and on wet cool days. This is because you do not have enough cooling load to remove the 60-90 lbs./day of moisture in 75 cfm of fresh cool wet air. During hot days, your a/c operating with a cold cooling coil will remove 60-90 lbs. of moisture per day.

My main point that homes that are dry during cool wet weather are not getting ideal fresh air to purge indoor pollutants and renew oxygen. If you going to correct the fresh air ventilation problem, the reheat a/c will cost a considerable of energy to maintain 50%RH. There are devices that remove 8-5 lbs. of moisture per KW on the market today. This 50%-75% less energy. The alternative would be a ventilating dehumidifier. They optimize humidity control by removing the moisture before the moisture mixes with the dry air in the home. The dehu also dries the a/c ducts and coil enough to prevent mold growth. High eff. dehus can be connected to ducts or free standing. Check my post for more info. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"