Confused HVAC vent locations

I have a 2900 sq ft home with 2 units (up & down). I don't think the upstairs vents are properly placed, the cooling seems very ineffecient. I have a large(approx 20'x18') "bonus" room upstairs, like a family room, that is above my garage. There are only two vents for the entire room. My master bath has two vents, one in the main area and one in a very small commode room. There are also vents in two closets, one being with in six feet of the mater bath making 3 vets within 6 feet. There is no vent at all in the upstairs hallway where the themostat is located. The Bonus room is always hot in summer and cold in winter and the bed rooms are always significantly hotter/colder than the hallway which makes the unit run and run. I know it's hard to discuss without seeing but any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Bonus rooms seem like they are always a problem. There is more exposure to outside temperatures (floor, three walls and ceiling) We always either zone these rooms or add, recommend a mini split. Also you have to have a return air from that room.

We don't usually put a heat run in the hallway as it would short cycle the thermostat.

Its very hard to tell without seeing the design what may be done to correct it. Get recomendations for a few companies in your area and have them out to determine what may be don to correct your problems.

Good luck
    Its a good Life!

I would have to come out to check it all out.

But, is there any duct/s exposed for future repair work?
    This is more of a contractor doing it in the dark work! They where guessing on the duct sizes. They probably didn't do a room to room heat load calc.

Solution: I would have to inspect the system. Maybe possible rework some ducts. Maybe adding a ductless split for the bonus room?

Sorry for your house!

floor plan

It's all exposed, it's in the attic, which is quite big. The unit and the duct work are all up there.

I attached a floor plan. Ther is a vent above the widow in the little dog house doormer and above the window to the right in the bonus, also a small return near the door. There is a vent in the walk in closet for BR 4 and the top walk in in the master bed room. The master bathroom vents are above the door into the room and in that small commode room, near the door. The other up stairs return is in the hall near the door leading up to the attic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Where's the A/C and furnace located? Attic, basement, garage?

It seems that the duct system was NOT designed and thereby not install correctly.

It's possible to remedy some of the upstair problems if the equipment or ducts are located in the attic. !!!

Quote Originally Posted by arc8 View Post
    Where's the A/C and furnace located? Attic, basement, garage?

It seems that the duct system was NOT designed and thereby not install correctly.

It's possible to remedy some of the upstair problems if the equipment or ducts are located in the attic. !!!
    Thanks for the opinion Arc, all of the upstairs equipment is in the attic , I am having the super from the install company come out and take a look, we'll see what he says....