What was that sound from the compressor ?

So Im headed home , and get a call from my cousin " my AC isnt cooling well "

Have to top this off every year , cant find a leak .

Its 102 degrees out today , and she watches kids .

All I have in my trunk of my car is a old set of guages , and a bottle of r22 . Ok this will do .

2 ton Rheem split about 20 yrs old , tri level home .

Throw on the guages and I have 70 and 370 . Whoa .

Look at the condensor and its dirty .

Return Filters are pretty new , AH filter clean , evap clean .

Wash the cond real good . Fire up the comp .

Guages fluxuate around a little and steady at 50 and 250 after about 5 minutes .

Ok fine it wants a top off .

So I add a half pound . Goes to 60 and 260 . Add little more hits 70 and 270 . Hmm its hot out here .... I think 300 should be perfect . Bump it to 2 pounds . 75 and 310 . Good its happy . Go inside and the air is nice and cold .

Go back out . Im standing there day dreaming when I hear a " click " in the compressor , and the low side spikes to 95 , high to 350 , and it sounds like a dish washer in the comp . Im like what tha I panick and loosened the low side hose to bleed off some gas - figured I added too much. I let out approx 1 pound . Both needles start dropping slowly . Dish washer sound stops and I got 85 and 325 . Ok whew thats better , let it run a little bit while I scratch my head .

After a few minutes I hear a click again , and its back to 80 and 290 in a flash . Stayed that way for 10 minutes . I said ok Im cool with that , and I went home .

What happened ?

I do MVAC for a living , and have fixed several home AC . Never seen this .

With your post count you should know that we can't give you an explaination for this in the open forums...you should get your professional status!!

(they have beer in the pro forums)
    I need a new signature.....

what was the sh sc odt split?

I didnt have my temp gun , or thermometer , So I went by feel .... yea I know pretty back yardish . It felt pretty normal after I got 75 and 310

It's impossible to charge accurately based on pressures alone.

Pressures don't tell you what's happening in the system.

I panick and loosened the low side hose to bleed off some gas - figured I added too much. I let out approx 1 pound . Both needles start dropping slowly . Dish washer sound stops and I got 85 and 325 . Ok whew thats better , let it run a little bit while I scratch my head .
    Contact the EPA for help; they'll tell you exactly what needs to be done next.

Also, I don't know about you, but I have never had accurate pressure readings within 5 minutes of washing down a condensing coil. It is still soaking wet and aiding the fan in condensing the refrigerant.

You can overcharge a system real quick if you try to charge it while the coil is still wet. The pressures/temps will be all kinds of goofy with low pressures and high subcooling.
    Let it run for 10 or 15 minutes or so to dry off before checking the gauges.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

ahh , so it probly didnt need much more gas - if any at all .

In cars its a little different I guess . I will hose off a condensor and the pressures are back to normal within 1 minute most the time .

Im still curious what that click was . Some kinda high pressure relief or something ....

I guess the dishwasher sound was it flooding back . I remember learning about flooding / slugging - in class back in the 80's - how it will kill a compressor real quick , but Never witnessed that in person before . It made me real nervous .

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post

Contact the EPA for help; they'll tell you exactly what needs to be done next.
    hold on , let me get my checkbook for 5,000 dollars ready .