Thread: water assist?

water assist?

I have a cool, year round creek in my back yard and pump the water to my garden. Would it be worthwhile to spray a mist on the the coils of my outdoor unit while the AC is running? Is there a downside to doing this?
    Thanks.

Premature corrosion of the fins on the condenser would be my first thought.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by gordelbar View Post
    I have a cool, year round creek in my back yard and pump the water to my garden. Would it be worthwhile to spray a mist on the the coils of my outdoor unit while the AC is running? Is there a downside to doing this?
    Thanks.
    Like bill said - the water on your air coil would cause dammage to it over time.
    Mineral deposits will collect on the coil and clog it. I have seen people dump water from their condensate pumps onto their outdoor coils, this is distilled water which does not have the mineral deposits but it still makes the base pan of the unit rust along with any steel parts it comes in contact with.

Even condensate water would lead to other problems would it not? I used to think the same thing but discussion on this board led me to believe no good could come of it.

This is my take and results using misters....first...it depends greatly on the amount of minerals in your water. Some parts of the country, even here in Atlanta have a low mineral content in the water, thus leaving no residue behind. I can say, that after having my irrigation spraying on my old condensors for 12 years, there was not a trace of mineral deposits on the coils...with that said....I have a misting system set up around both condensors that comes on automatically when the condensors kick on...I purchased low flow misters from a on-line plumbing company and built a nice surround around the units...the controls are placed in a irrigation box which is tied into the irrigation water supply...I only use the misters when the temp rises above 90*...the results have been dramatic, for using less than 4 gal/hr for 9 misters, I achieve a 8-10* drop in supply temp, and a 35* drop in heat rejection coming off the top of the condensors. The mist is so fine, one may be surprised that it achieves any difference...I wash my coils monthly during the summer and have not noticed any difference in my monthly water bill. The idea was given to me from a contractor who works on industrial HVAC where water chillers help cool the AC air....

The misters are placed 8-12 inches from the bottom of the condensors....

If 12 years of daily irrigation water and rain did not damage the coils, then a little mist should not either....2 years so far and no problems....just make sure about the water...it makes ALL the difference...

Joe