Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation BGE offer $400/yr to install e-saver switch!

My power company, BGE, is offering $400 to me, if I allow them to install two next generation energy saver switches (I have two zones) which would cycle my AC between 1PM-7PM. Following years would be $200 credit per year! They used to offer me only $80 per year in credit.

What do you guys think of these power-company radio signal energy saver switches?

With warm regards, James

BGE can kiss my a$$.

72% increase in electric rates thanks to deregulation without competition (way to go Maryland Public Service Commission).

I live in Abingdon, Harford County.

From BGE's website:

"What are cycling participation levels?
    This is a key component of the PeakRewards℠ program. As a PeakRewards℠ participant, you are able to choose among three different program options with respect to your cycling participation level during regional emergency events.

50% cycling option: If you select this option, you will receive a $50 seasonal incentive which will be applied in bill credits in the amount of $12.50 per month from June through September. Look at the image at the bottom of this page to see how your credit would appear on your bill. Choosing this 50% option also means that your air conditioner's compressor will run for half of the time it would have run if it were not for the cycling event. This is the default option for new participants.

Keep in mind that your fan will continue to operate though your compressor is off and you will probably not even notice a change in temperature in your home. This cycling option is a good choice if you are typically home during the afternoon and early evening on weekdays.

75% cycling option: If you select this option, you will receive a $75 seasonal incentive or an $18.75 credit to your bill per month from June to September. Choosing this 75% option also means that your air conditioner's compressor will run for a quarter of the time it would have run if it were not for the cycling event.

You will probably not even notice that you are being cycled, as the typical home would experience a temperature increase of about 2 to 3 degrees during an event. Again, keep in mind that the fan will continue to operate though your compressor is off. This option is a good choice if you are typically in and out of your home during the afternoon and early evening on weekdays.

100% cycling option: Choosing the 100% cycling option means that your air conditioner's compressor will not run for the duration of the cycling event. If you select this option, you will receive a $100 credit per season, or $25.00 per month from June to September. The typical home may experience a rise in the overall household temperature of between 5 to 8 degrees during an event with this option. Your fan will continue to run even though your compressor is off. This option is a good choice if you are typically not home during the afternoon and early evening on weekdays."

================================================== ========
    You need to read the fine print.

http://www.bgesmartenergy.com/peakre...oney/index.php

Good luck.

Programs such as this are better suited to homes with oversized AC capacity. That kinda violates other principles of good AC sizing but there it is. If you raised temperature in my house by 2-3 degrees I sure would notice it, but supposedly there are surveys which report that average customers find it acceptable.

The happiest customers are those who cynically cheat. In the Houston TX area it has been reported customers under a similar program, found placing a coffee can over the receiver would prevent the shutoff signals from ever being received.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    The happiest customers are those who cynically cheat. In the Houston TX area it has been reported customers under a similar program, found placing a coffee can over the receiver would prevent the shutoff signals from ever being received.

Hope this helps -- Pstu
    That is very helpful (and funny).

Thanx.

I've never liked the idea of the power company having control over my heating and cooling and adjusting whenever they see fit, but that's my opinion.

I'd say do 1 unit or both James.

Voluntary programs that include a financial incentive are a good thing in my opinion.

These programs are great for people who normally work the hours the cycling takes place.

Programs like this are also better for the rate payers (read cheaper) than upgrading infrastructure to meet the peak demand problems.
    Ed J

i believe they initiate load shedding. Google it. It basically means they control you're comfort at peak times example: it is 100 outside and everone has their AC on. youre utility can reset youre temperature like change youre setpoint from 72 to 78 to keep demand down. But google loadshedding

sounds like good incentives

They have a program like that here in IL, also. But we're the ones that have to listen to the customers complain when it gets hot.

We have that program here in Florida as well. We will get several calls this summer due to Progress Energy shutting people down. When somebody calls for service one of the first things they are asked is if they are connected to Energy Management, and then asked to check the LEDs to see if Progress Energy has shut them down.

This will eliminate a few calls a week that are not necessary.

Anybody thinking of doing it should consider how well their A/C works before they commit to it.

If you think your A/C runs to long now when it close to OD design. Or that your A/C doesn't keep up very well. Don't get it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Anybody thinking of doing it should consider how well their A/C works before they commit to it.

If you think your A/C runs to long now when it close to OD design. Or that your A/C doesn't keep up very well. Don't get it.
    Outstanding advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast