Should I go with a heat pump?

My central AC compressor bit the dust last night. I had a family friend come out to look at it and he said that I need a new unit (he is a lifetime HVAC person). My AC unit was/is from the early 70s, original to the house, so I expected it to go.

Anyway, I have a free central AC system coming to me, via my father, so I could replace this for only the labor. However, I have an oil furnace so I was thinking of getting an add-on heat pump and use the oil furnace (circa 2002) as supplemental heating. My question is, would it make sense to get this or should I just stick with oil? I am looking at both the resale value of the house and the running costs (mainly the running costs). At $3.80/gallon (in my area, PA, oil was about $3.70 at the end of the winter) and $.104/kwh (going up to $.15 in 2010) what would be the best choice? I am only heating 1200 ft2.
    Last edited by kreig; 06-09-2008 at 03:12 PM.

I would:

- Minimize the use of oil heat (use it as supplimental heat).
    - Get a heat pump condenser w/matching indoor coil. They MUST be a matched set.
    - Not go too crazy on SEER (14 max) because you are limited by the oil furnace air handler.
    - Post the model numbers of the condenser and matching coil so we can tell you if it an ARI (American Refrigeration Institute) approved match.
    - Make sure that the system is sized properly thru a heat gain/loss calc.
    - Make sure that your duct work is sufficient.
    - Remove your pricing from your post before one of the Moderators remove it.

Good luck.

kreig

with a properly sized HP and good ductwork, your decision is really a no brainer. in fact, it appears that HP with electric strip heat backup would save over oil.

Crunch the numbers on attached fuel comparison calculator.

IMO
    Good Luck!

http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm

OK, so you think the add-on heat pump is the way to go? He is going to be replacing the inside coil with one for the condenser. I asked if I had to replace the inside coil, if I just went with a new condenser, and he said no but he wouldn't do the job.

How do I calculate a monthly cost breakdown, the cost to heat my home?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    kreig

with a properly sized HP and good ductwork, your decision is really a no brainer. in fact, it appears that HP with electric strip heat backup would save over oil.

Crunch the numbers on attached fuel comparison calculator.

IMO
    Good Luck!

http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm
    Thanks a lot for the link! My duct work isn't insulated, it is from 1972, so it would need to be replaced I suppose. The good news is that all registers are on the floor and I only have one level so the runs aren't too long.

Quote Originally Posted by kreig View Post
    My duct work isn't insulated, it is from 1972, so it would need to be replaced I suppose.
    Not necessarily. Ducts can be insulated.

I have all metal ducts and they are not insulated (ducts run in conditioned space).
    Last edited by gary_g; 06-09-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Clarification on ducts

kreig

what size is your existing AC condenser?

2.5 tons, a bit big.

PECO give BIG discounts for heat pump,we have not an a/c unit in months!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!