Carrier Infinity Controller with a Trane heat pump?

Eighteen months ago I had a Carrier Infinity 80 furnace (#58CVA) installed, along with Carrier Infinity thermostat. As the circumstances were urgent, I had no time compare products. Now that I'm about to replace the heat pump, I'm leaning toward the Trane XL16i, but don't know if will work smoothly with the Infinity system.
    Can anyone give me guidance on this?

You'll need to have an Infinity Network Interface Module (NIM) installed to convert the Infinity signals to 24V control for the heat pump/dual fuel setup.

Might be better advised to go with a performance or infinity series Carrier.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Just curious: Why not look at an Infinity 16 or Infinity 19 heat pump? Then you'll have an Infinity system controlled by the Infinity controller. I don't know if the Trane XL16i will be compatible (I'll leave that one for the pros), but is there a reason why you want to put the Trane in? The 25HNA6 would provide more comfort/humidity control with the Bristol TS compressor (~50% capacity on low stage), along with other advantages (diagnostics, etc.). The 25HPA5 (Performance series) would also be compatible with the Infinity controller.

hey jr

Quote Originally Posted by jrodden View Post
    Eighteen months ago I had a Carrier Infinity 80 furnace (#58CVA) installed, along with Carrier Infinity thermostat. As the circumstances were urgent, I had no time compare products. Now that I'm about to replace the heat pump, I'm leaning toward the Trane XL16i, but don't know if will work smoothly with the Infinity system.
    Can anyone give me guidance on this?
    Yes the infinity controller will work with the Trane BUT.. you wont be able to make full use of all the infinity features. The outdoor temp sensor that is shipped with all the infinity controllers will need to be installed if it was not put on your existing unit by the contractor that replaced the furnace. I assume that the contractor that wants to install the Trane will put a matching Trane coil inside. Trane makes some good stuff but Carrier/Bryant does also. As previous posts suggest You might want to take a look at the Carrier or Bryant or Payne equipment that is fully compatiable with your infinity. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the quick response!

It's good to know the NIM would allow me to use a model outside the Carrier line. After reading many discussions on the subject in an effort to get up to speed for the purchase, the Trane sounded as if it was more reliable (less maintenance). And perhaps the specs in the Trane literature are just easier to grasp! The Carrier specs from the site were a bit confusing. I'd like a 16SEER, 9HSRP with a scroll compressor (19 SEER is more than I need in Indiana).

You both seem to think the Infinity model (#25HNA6) might be the better bet with the Infinity controller, yes?

And should a scroll compressor be a deciding factor?

Fincomber569,
    I just read your post. Thanks for the insight - I didn't know about the outdoor temp sensor. I'll look again at the Carrier line.

The Bristol TS compressor in the 25HNA6 has a lesser capacity in first stage, so it will run longer and at the same time remove humidity. The 25HNA9 does have a scroll compressor, but as you said the little extra efficiency and scroll compressor may not be worth the upgrade cost in your location.

single stage vs. two stage?

Following your advice, I'm acquiring bids on the Carrier line - principally the 25HNA6 (2stage, 16 SEER). As noted earlier, the 2-stage Infinity furnace is already installed.
    The most recent contractor to bid has suggested that with a one-story home (cathedral ceilings), the two stage heat pump would be "overkill." He suggested the Bryant one stage 265A would be more appropriate. Any thoughts?

jrodden

one of the best sgl stg HPs is Carrier's Performance 15 (Bryant's Preferred 15) and paired with correct matching evap coil and your Infinity 80, you would have a very nice system.

IMO

If you have the Infinty control, you'll get better performance from an Infinity heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would suggest you seriously look at the two stage carrier heatpump. This combination with your furnace will allow the system to heat your home more efficiently and for less cost than the 80% furnace most of the time during the cold months. Humidity removal with the matched carrier system you'd have would be fantastic. Lower indoor humidity in the summer months means more comfort with higher indoor temperatures which translates into lower electrical costs.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

So a 2-stage furnace and a 2-stage heat pump would not be "overkill", then?

The idea that humidity removal would be "fantastic" certainly caught my attention! As the 25HNA6 doesn't have a scroll compressor I thought I was relinquishing that benefit. (I thought scroll compressors handled humidity better.)

Finally, is there any benefit to going with a factory authorized dealer for the purchase/installation? I'm trying to decide between competitive offers.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

The reason why the 25HNA6 can control humidity better is the wider capacity split between the first and second stages (i.e. ~60% capacity on first stage of the 25HNA6 vs. ~75% capacity on first stage of the 25HNA9).

I don't think it would be considered "overkill" if you want superior indoor comfort.