Need A/C; Get furnace too?!?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

My central A/C has a leak and needs replacing. My budget better supports buying the A/C only but the contractors push me towards getting a new (forced air) furnace too. The existing furnace is probably 20 years old but it works ok. The arguements presented to me are that you get a more efficient system, have only one set of labor costs and can better rely on all new verses a new A/C with the old furnace.

I'm not sure how long I'll be in the home. 5 years, maybe more/less. This might be more efficient but the ROI seems out there a ways. Resale on the home? Not sure in this market that's compelling either.

Finally, given my budget (post divorce) is it viable to pursue used A/C equipement and install that now. Then look at new when the time is right?

Thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcamp View Post
    Thanks, in advance, for your input.

My central A/C has a leak and needs replacing. My budget better supports buying the A/C only but the contractors push me towards getting a new (forced air) furnace too. The existing furnace is probably 20 years old but it works ok. The arguements presented to me are that you get a more efficient system, have only one set of labor costs and can better rely on all new verses a new A/C with the old furnace.

It cost a little less now then it will down the road.
    but you have to decide what your budget can handle.

I'm not sure how long I'll be in the home. 5 years, maybe more/less. This might be more efficient but the ROI seems out there a ways. Resale on the home? Not sure in this market that's compelling either.

May not increase sell value, but it may help it sell quicker, and not require you to reduce price when you sell it.

Finally, given my budget (post divorce) is it viable to pursue used A/C equipment and install that now. Then look at new when the time is right?

Labor wise it will cost you as much to install a used system as a new system. Problem with used system. If it dies a month later. Your now in a worse financial state then you were.

Thank you for the advice.
    Don't have to do the furnace. but it could be a good move.

Get the best new system you can afford, afford what you get.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?