Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    Two thoughts (maybe this has been covered):

1. Can you get the mini-split to cycle all day long, instead of run on low all day long?

2. Does the Trane have an IAQ a.k.a. de/humidistat option? My Rheem does (though my installer never mentioned it), hook up a standard off-when-humid humidistat and it will run the blower on low in A/C mode when the humidity is high.

I have confidence a mini-split can help you with dehumidification. The reason is, we have a Sanyo mini-split at work in a machine room, it cycles on/off, and our last remaining problem with it is, too low humidity in that room. A book can be written about the labors to get this beast to do it's job, but the dust jacket version is, don't use people A/C to cool machines.

-HF

1. This mini-split ramps up and down based on room temperature and the set temperature. In cooling mode, it shuts off completely when the room temperature is 2 degrees lower than the set temperature. It ramps up from there and is on full high when the room temperature exceeds the set temperature by two degrees - In normal operation, I have never seen the room temperature exceed the set temperature.

I have gone through the manual a few times and there is no way to cycle the mini-split that I can find. I can control the fan speed instead of auto, but in my case, it runs on low all the time whether I set it to low or auto.

2. My Trane has a variable speed blower, but I have no idea if it has an IAQ mode or not. My installer was not the most knowledgeable.

- Finding a dealer willing to put a two ton heat pump in a 4,000 sq. ft. house was not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    LOL...

I always wondered where davidr got some of his scientific methods.
    I plagerized the mothballs from a guy from CMHC, Canada Mortgage and Housing. CMHC was figuring things out before Building Science

As far as building tight houses go, Canada is 30 years ahead of the USA.

Except the guy from CMHC never came up with the moth balls in the lab, he figured the mothballs would drive pesky squirrels from his attic. He ended up with a smelly house for a while but realized that in the summer time, the stack effect reverses itself.

Need two or three stories to see this, the OP has a first floor above grade called a basement

here is my place from the evening of June 7 until now

I have a fan forcing in just about 60 CFM when my compressor is running.

Average Temp 74.8 black line
    Average RH 43.4% blue line
    Average CO2 1058 PPM green line

I was keeping my home set for a constant 75F, I will increase the ventilation rate some more, as I would like to keep CO2 spikes under 1200 PPM, plus I do not enjoy paying 35 cents a kWh, so I will be raising my set point up.

Humidity spiked up over 50 when the cleaning lady was in ironing clothes and mopping all the floors.

I think I will be able to pound in about 100 CFM of fresh air and hold under 50%.

Weather summary over same time period

I got 5000 gallons of rain water in my cistern right now. Dewpoint averaged 77F or the time period.

We had some water spouts again

Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    2. My Trane has a variable speed blower, but I have no idea if it has an IAQ mode or not. My installer was not the most knowledgeable.
    Post the model number here and the pros will tell you if it does or not. Or, RTFM yourself.

- Finding a dealer willing to put a two ton heat pump in a 4,000 sq. ft. house was not easy.
    I've never tried that, but around here, dealers adding an extra ton or two over any reasonable size is easy to find.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    if your air sealing paid off you would be under 45%

when you go back to running your minisplit, put mothballs in a tray in the attic above the master bed

if your house starts to smell you will know the air leaks in from the attic

maybe crack a door open with the system running, see if you can damper off the fresh air so you just notice cool air leaving
    The dew point in my house was right at 56 degrees this afternoon - which is pretty close to your 74.8 degrees at 43.9% humidity. Right now, the dew point in my house is down to about 54 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    Post the model number here and the pros will tell you if it does or not. Or, RTFM yourself.

I've never tried that, but around here, dealers adding an extra ton or two over any reasonable size is easy to find.

-HF
    I have tried to find the manual on line more than once, with no luck.

The model number is 2TEE3F31A1000AA

The dew point in my house was right at 56 degrees this afternoon - which is pretty close to your 74.8 degrees at 43.9% humidity. Right now, the dew point in my house is down to about 54 degrees.

dewpoint based on my average temp and RH is 51

When you have your dewpoint at 55F its like 75F & 50%

If you look at the humidity/dewpoint in the ambient air here, you can see that infiltration is not an issue, I am running about 520 CFM per ton

I drop that blower speed to low and I will be holding under 40%

The model number is 2TEE3F31A1000AA
    close enough?

http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/spl...5_05012008.pdf

No, No, no, NO!

Your dealer is REQUIRED to leave you with the install manual for your system.

Call them and complain, if you still don't get it, call Trane.

I bet they failed to leave you with the warranty card and didn't fill out the warranty information, too.

I had to sit my furnace installer down and practically force him to fill out my warranty form.

I have my house's original HP install manual and warranty form. I found them, moldy and mildewy, in an unsealed plastic bag inside the Outdoor Unit. Of course, the installer information (required to be filled out by the installer) was NOT filled out either.

To make them more readable and less allergenic, I scanned them in with XSane on my Brother MFC and cleaned up the images with TheGimp. So now, I have the PDF's.

-HF

your averaging about a 69 dewpoint over the same time period

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

let it be for a few days and see how you do, give it a chance to do its job

you start trying to keep real cold temperatures, the RH is going to rise on you, nothing you can do about it.

Minisplits have an inherent flaw that they run their fan coil fans all the time. This revaporates water you just paid to remove. If you want it freezing in the master bedroom, turn the minisplit on before you go to bed

Its got to be one of those single zone inverters so it should pull down the room temp fast. I do not see the logic of running it all the time on low capacity when you are not in there, it just wastes energy

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    Carnak, you da man!

Page 2 says "Comfort-R(tm) enhanced dehumidification cycle".

Page 20 Line 5 says you can hook up a humidistat in a cooling-only configuration, which sort of implies it will be using it for something other than humidification?

It looks to me like it has a dehumidification option, perhaps one that is not being used. Do you have a humidistat hooked up to your air handler, or just your dehumidifier?

-HF
    Last edited by hangfirew8; 06-15-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: clarity

His installer could have it set up for 450 CFM per ton.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    His installer could have it set up for 450 CFM per ton.
    knowing my dealer, I would not bet on it being anything other than the factory default settings which would be closer to 600 cfm per ton.

Definitely something I need to check.

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast