bypass humidifier setup question

Just had my AC and furnace replaced, with a new humidifier as well. First off, it seems to leak a lot of air around it. The rest of the system was installed great, but this humidifier leaves me with a few questions...

Flipping the damper on the humidifier to "summer" in order to close the bypass makes the thing leak a ton of air (it seems leaky in "winter" too), and make a lot of noise. Installer said it would, and advised that I leave it open in the "winter" setting year-round. Will that have any measurable impact on my cooling? Should I just try to seal around the humidifier cabinet as best I can and accept air leaks between there and the bypass duct? Is there any way to add a damper before the air even gets to the humidifier, if it's mounted directly to the main supply?

Do I just have a crappy humidifier? It's a Lennox system - HCWB12 is the humidifier. I have a nice G61MPV furnace and XC14 AC unit, so I hate to lose any efficiency through the humidifier.

More like an installer problem.
    He should have sealed it.

Close it. Most houses need all teh air flow to the conditioned area they can get.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by phikapbob View Post
    Just had my AC and furnace replaced, with a new humidifier as well. First off, it seems to leak a lot of air around it. The rest of the system was installed great, but this humidifier leaves me with a few questions...

Flipping the damper on the humidifier to "summer" in order to close the bypass makes the thing leak a ton of air (it seems leaky in "winter" too), and make a lot of noise. Installer said it would, and advised that I leave it open in the "winter" setting year-round. Will that have any measurable impact on my cooling? Should I just try to seal around the humidifier cabinet as best I can and accept air leaks between there and the bypass duct? Is there any way to add a damper before the air even gets to the humidifier, if it's mounted directly to the main supply?

Do I just have a crappy humidifier? It's a Lennox system - HCWB12 is the humidifier. I have a nice G61MPV furnace and XC14 AC unit, so I hate to lose any efficiency through the humidifier.
    I had the same problem with my bypass....my installer came back and sealed it when I pointed it out to him....
    Key1