10 Seer Replacement

I have a customer that has a bad 10 seer condensing unit. I will replace the unit with the latest 12 or 13 seer. If I don't replace the evap "A" coil what is the downside.

I realize that they should be replaced as a package, but the customer has limited funds.

Thanks in advance.

You are correct. You should replace both. But if a customer has limited funds, do what you have to do. Your efficiency will not be as rated. And i believe through my experience your pressures will be a little off.

Well, if its a 2 ton system now. After you put a new 13 SEER rated condenser on thsat old coil, it could be a 1½ ton system. Meaning it won't cool the house, unless the current one is oversized.
    It your compressor fails, you may have voided the warranty, if the distributor needs the ID coil model and serial number.

Look into offering customer same as cash financing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Well, if its a 2 ton system now. After you put a new 13 SEER rated condenser on thsat old coil, it could be a 1½ ton system. Meaning it won't cool the house, unless the current one is oversized.
    It your compressor fails, you may have voided the warranty, if the distributor needs the ID coil model and serial number.

Look into offering customer same as cash financing.
    I just checked with my distributer (sp) and he pretty much said the same thing. I called the customer with both options and he selected to just replace the condensor. NO WARRANTY.

Write that on your invoice.
    If you don't. And it fails, the customer will not remember that you told them.
    Also list that you do not guaranty that it will cool as well.

CYA
    Contractor locator map

You did not say anything about it being a heat pump or straight a/c. If it were a heat pump, forget about it. You could lose up to 48% of your capacity in heat mode and 40% in cooling. 40% loss of cooling efficiency in cooling and up to 60% loss in heating. You will never get your charge baalced, as it will starve in summer and flood in winter. Bottom line, pay me now for a new coil, or pay me later for a failed system. A guy could get away with a straight cooling system, but why set yourself up for failure out of the gate?
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by TMH58 View Post
    A guy could get away with a straight cooling system, but why set yourself up for failure out of the gate?
    Last I knew. No one has a 13 SEER condenser hooked to a old supposed 10 SEER evap coil that has been running for 5 or more years.
    So its only speculation that you can get away with it on an A/C.

It will blow cold air. It might not be enough.
    Contractor locator map

I only meant we could make it run. Not make it last. Heck, we can make almost anything run. But will it last a year or more? That is the question.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Last I knew. No one has a 13 SEER condenser hooked to a old supposed 10 SEER evap coil that has been running for 5 or more years.
    So its only speculation that you can get away with it on an A/C.

It will blow cold air. It might not be enough.
    It's installed. Suction pressure was a little high. It cooled well though. Had the customer sign a disclaimer before I installed it.