Air intake in home

Hi, I'm not entirely sure if I"m using the proper terms here. But here goes...

The air intake (not sure if that's the right term) is located in the kitchen. As a result, it is very noisy in this half of the home. I was under the impression these were usually in hallways, mud rooms, laundry rooms, etc.

The other side of that wall is a small laundry room. Is it possible and safe to mount the air intake facing into the laundry room? Basically rotating the unit 180 degrees. I would be having a licensed HVAC installer doing any work.

Just curious to know before we move forward on this home.

Photo attached.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats the air handler.

Is that an apartment?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Thumbs down

wtf is that??

a blower coil mounted inside the wall?

don't see how that could be anything but problems for a long time.

Looks like the bottom of a air handler with the filter rack exposed and possiblythe coil with a condensate drain built into the side of a wall. You are correct in thinking these are generally installed in a hallway for the return side of things, or up in a attice space and return up in the ceiling. If there's anyway for you to have the return moved to a hallway or up in the attic you would be much better off as far as noise goes.

I would assume its an apartment where you are on a middle floor. So your options are needless to say, limited.

I would call a contractor to come take a look. There may be something they can do. There may not. But we can't really give good advice on this one without seeing it firsthand.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Air handler. Thanks for the correction!

Yes, it's in a condo (unit below and on the side)

Right above the air handler is the beginning of duct work. My thinking was to have the air handler rotated 180 so the intake is facing the laundry room (other side of the kitchen wall) and hence the noise would be significantly less.

Is there any sort of safety/health issue that could arise from this taking air in from a smaller space? A previous home I have lived in had the air handler mounted in a small closet.

And the photo is taken standing in the kitchen (so you can see why I feel it's a bit loud in a good portion of the home.)

Quote Originally Posted by hockey247 View Post
    Air handler. Thanks for the correction!

Yes, it's in a condo (unit below and on the side)

Right above the air handler is the beginning of duct work. My thinking was to have the air handler rotated 180 so the intake is facing the laundry room (other side of the kitchen wall) and hence the noise would be significantly less.

Is there any sort of safety/health issue that could arise from this taking air in from a smaller space? A previous home I have lived in had the air handler mounted in a small closet.
    you would be pulling air from your laundry room....which tends to be hotter while running your washer and dryer.

Rotating the unit 180* is a big task. Expect a hefty labor charge to get it done. And you will have to have a through the wall return added or have a louvered door put on the laundry room.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

You'd still have the equipment noise factor to consider, unless the majority of the noise is from the air passing through the return grill. Consider the dust, lint, scents, and temperatures typically associated with laundry rooms/closets carefully as well. It may be more trouble than it's worth to switch things up.

By the way, there is normally a filter there, right?

That does not look like a fun one to replace.

Is there another option to consider? Is there something to dampen the noise in the existing setup? There is a grille (sitting on the floor against the wall in the photo) that covers it.

Add to the fact you have to remove or cut the door to the laundry room as well if you did it.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by hockey247 View Post
    Is there another option to consider? Is there something to dampen the noise in the existing setup? There is a grille (sitting on the floor against the wall in the photo) that covers it.
    hard to tell from here. Best thing you can do is have the installer or a local reputable contractor come take a look. They will be able to discuss any options you may have.