MA line hard starts killing units

MA line hard starts killing units

Been using hard start assist kits for years getting problem compressors to run with few problems. I need to know if anyone else is experiencing problems with these MA line units.

Installed one the other day and it ended up shorting out the compressor. Yesterday I installed one and had to go back two hours later, out on overload.

Now I get a call from a client I put one on to help occasional harder starts and from what he describes it sounds like his compressor is out on overload!

glenn

Huh?

Are you taking the time to properly diagnose the system? Why are you adding hard starts at random?
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Huh?

Are you taking the time to properly diagnose the system? Why are you adding hard starts at random?
    Yes after 30 some years in the biz I am taking the time to diagnose the system. These are not being added at random. They have been installed on hard starting units or the occasional unit that is in an area with voltage drops. As you know that is one of the functions of the start components used in better equipment and most of the old stuff.

If you are not familiar with this brand of hard start kit I don't think you can be of much help on this question as other start kits have never caused these issues.

glenn
    vietnam vet

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    Yes after 30 some years in the biz I am taking the time to diagnose the system. These are not being added at random. They have been installed on hard starting units or the occasional unit that is in an area with voltage drops. As you know that is one of the functions of the start components used in better equipment and most of the old stuff.

If you are not familiar with this brand of hard start kit I don't think you can be of much help on this question as other start kits have never caused these issues.

glenn
    vietnam vet
    I use the SPP6....

never had any issues. I try not to install a hard start though. 9 times out of 10, its just a band aid and only prolongs the inevitable.

Yes, the new units come with a start assist kit including a start cap and potential relay. Are you checking the relay to ensure its dropping out like its supposed to?

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

I have used spp6 and 8's with few problems. These are units with no start components from factory and yes it often is a bandaid but you or at least I do what I need to get em going on Saturday when it's 90.

I am sure it is an issue with this new line that my wholesalers are using called MA-line. You can smell the relay burnt and my guess is the thing aint coming off line.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    I have used spp6 and 8's with few problems. These are units with no start components from factory and yes it often is a bandaid but you or at least I do what I need to get em going on Saturday when it's 90.

I am sure it is an issue with this new line that my wholesalers are using called MA-line. You can smell the relay burnt and my guess is the thing aint coming off line.
    very possible. Have you spoked with your supplier about it? They should know more about it. Cause they will be the ones taking all the returns of DOAs.

I do have a few SPP6s. Emergency use only if I can help it. I would rather take the time to install a proper start assist kit with relay though. When its only 3 techs covering a massive area........we tend to do it right the first time. No time for callbacks. We have enough to keep us busy.