Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Stand down, Gunny.

No need to jump on the guy.
    ROFL.

Gunny's having a flashback. He can smell the napalm and it just gets him going.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Had a flashback myself when I posted that.

LOL
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    You wanted cheap and you got it.

Have you ever bought something cheap that was good?
    You got what you paid for.

Haha, no you are right I probably got what I paid for. Just wanted some advice on how to make what I paid for right by some people that were in the know. I realize it's going to cost me more in the end, just want to make sure I make the right decisions and know what they are talkig about. I'm sorry for being cheap but money is tight and baby on the way so I'm just trying to make my family as comfortable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns114 View Post
    Haha, no you are right I probably got what I paid for. Just wanted some advice on how to make what I paid for right by some people that were in the know. I realize it's going to cost me more in the end, just want to make sure I make the right decisions and know what they are talkig about. I'm sorry for being cheap but money is tight and baby on the way so I'm just trying to make my family as comfortable as possible.
    you gotta do what you gotta do. Just don't complain when it doesn't work out in the end.

You gotta spend money in this field. No way around it. Just like buying a car. To get the one thats safest for the baby but also a comfortable ride, you gotta pony up the dough.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

I've done some searching on these forums and got some really good info but it seems every system is really different. I just had a Ducane 13 seer 2 ton condenser installed, I know it's a cheap unit, connected to an old Montgomery Ward 700 furnace. Specs on the furnace say input BTUH 80,000, Bonnet Capacity BTUH 64,000.
    The duct work to each room is 6in metal. Every room in the house has an air return except for the kitchen and bathroom. Every room has a register, family room has 2 and living room has 3. The air seems to be fairly cold coming out of the registers and fairly strong on the short runs. All my dampers are open but I can't seem to get the house below 78 during the day and the system never turns off. It's a 1400 sq ft split level home with a fairly open floor plan in Ohio and the temps have been pushing 90. The contractor didn't do a manual J, which I just learned about. I had them come out and check the system and the tech said the unit was charged and the air temps were very good coming out of the furnace. He told me going to a bigger condenser wouldn't get the air any cooler and was worried about my blower. I've never had any problems heating the home on the coldest days. My neighboor has the same exact floor plan with a 2.5 ton unit and new furnace and could cool his home to 76 with the system turning off and on. Sorry I don't know what units he has. They are coming back out tomorrow and i'm guessing they are going to say it's the furnace blower not being strong enough. So my question would be does this sound right. I know it's a cheap system and all but would a new furnace make the difference and/or would a bigger condenser help? Sorry for my ignorance just thought I should be informed by people that seem to know what they are doing. Thank you for help.

I thought Montgomery ward went out about 30 years ago, you needed a funrace not a/c!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    You wanted cheap and you got it.

Have you ever bought something cheap that was good?
    You got what you paid for.

We do jobs 3 ways

cheap
    quick
    or good

you can pick any two

if it is good and quick it won't be cheap.
    if it is cheap and quick it won't be good.
    if it is good and cheap it won't be quick.

you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip 2 my lou View Post
    We do jobs 3 ways

cheap
    quick
    or good

you can pick any two

if it is good and quick it won't be cheap.
    if it is cheap and quick it won't be good.
    if it is good and cheap it won't be quick.

you get the idea.
    well said.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    you gotta do what you gotta do. Just don't complain when it doesn't work out in the end.

You gotta spend money in this field. No way around it. Just like buying a car. To get the one thats safest for the baby but also a comfortable ride, you gotta pony up the dough.
    Yeah I realize this. The contractor primarily deals with York systems, any advice on a good unit there?

Yeah I realize this. The contractor primarily deals with York systems, any advice on a good unit there?
    The overall opinion of all the pros here is simple......

The brand of equipment doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality of the installation process.

Go with a good contractor first. Take the system that they offer. Reason being, if its a York dealer, they stock mainly York parts. If you buy a Trane from a York dealer, the chances of your system being fixed in a timely fasion deminishes due to lack of parts on the service trucks.

Ok, thanks that makes good sence. I think what i'm going to do tomorrow is ask for the calc to make sure the condenser is sized right and see what they can do on a new furnace because it is an old unit. I'm already in over my head so I guess might as well make it right for years to come. Thanks for the replies and I will post back incase this could help someone else.

I don't know which contractor you used....but a second opinion sounds like a good idea.We mostly sell Trane,Lennox,Carrier and York.Email is in my profile
    Go RCR!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12