Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New system not properly cooling

I've done some searching on these forums and got some really good info but it seems every system is really different. I just had a Ducane 13 seer 2 ton condenser installed, I know it's a cheap unit, connected to an old Montgomery Ward 700 furnace. Specs on the furnace say input BTUH 80,000, Bonnet Capacity BTUH 64,000.
    The duct work to each room is 6in metal. Every room in the house has an air return except for the kitchen and bathroom. Every room has a register, family room has 2 and living room has 3. The air seems to be fairly cold coming out of the registers and fairly strong on the short runs. All my dampers are open but I can't seem to get the house below 78 during the day and the system never turns off. It's a 1400 sq ft split level home with a fairly open floor plan in Ohio and the temps have been pushing 90. The contractor didn't do a manual J, which I just learned about. I had them come out and check the system and the tech said the unit was charged and the air temps were very good coming out of the furnace. He told me going to a bigger condenser wouldn't get the air any cooler and was worried about my blower. I've never had any problems heating the home on the coldest days. My neighboor has the same exact floor plan with a 2.5 ton unit and new furnace and could cool his home to 76 with the system turning off and on. Sorry I don't know what units he has. They are coming back out tomorrow and i'm guessing they are going to say it's the furnace blower not being strong enough. So my question would be does this sound right. I know it's a cheap system and all but would a new furnace make the difference and/or would a bigger condenser help? Sorry for my ignorance just thought I should be informed by people that seem to know what they are doing. Thank you for help.

Don't let them tell you the blower isn't big enough without first telling you what kind of CFM the unit is pushing. There are ways that us technicians can figure out exactly how many CFM your furnace blower is moving (those of us that know what we are doing). For your 2 ton condenser you are going to want somewhere around 800 to 900 cfm here in Ohio. What part of the state are you in? Did the installers replace the lineset and indoor coil when they replaced your AC?
    I need a new signature.....

Thank you for the reply and that will be something I ask. Yes the line set and coil are new, the coil is a 2.5 ton. I am in Canton, Ohio.

No problem...keep us posted on how things go...this site has a ton of information available as long as you aren't looking for DIY inforamtioin or pricing information.

How come you didn't change out the furnace when you changed out the AC? Just curious, doing the whole system at the same time is always a good thing, saves you money now and down the road.

Well that's kinda what I wanted to know. I wanted to do things as cheap as possible so I didn't have to change out the furnace. But if the system is never going to turn off and they are going to tell me i'm not getting enough CFM's and need a new blower I might as well do it. Not knowing much about these systems I don't want to be taken for a ride. I was concerned about the size of the condensor but if the tech is right about a bigger unit not going to get the air any cooler then I guess upgrading the furnace would be the next option.

Just remember that HVAC is not an expense. It is an investment.

And like any investment, If you invest wisely, you will never regret it.

Get the techs advice and adhear to it. If you read through the posts.....when HOs don't listen to the PROFESSIONAL technician, they get screwed in the end and in turn blame the industry.

The HOs that listen and adhere to advice are always happier than those that don't.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Unfortunately the technician has NO IDEA if the unit is too small or too large due to the fact that a load calculation was never performed.

You won't be able to get just a new "blower" ... the whole furnace will need replaced.

If I were you, I might start seeking a second opinion....sounds to me like you are dealing with someone who is a little in over their head. Should be interesting to see what they say about your actual cfm's. Hopefully they know what they are doing and get you taken care of properly.

Again thank you guys so much for the advice. I know that it's an investment, just want to make sure that I'm making a good investment as cheaply as possible that is. Like what I_bend_metal said about them not taking a load calc, I don't know how much I can trust them. But since I have no clue about these of course I'm going to take their suggestions. So in your opinion if they do in fact get a decent CFM reading do I demand a bigget condenser? Would that be something you guys would do after and install if the system isn't cooling properly?

I don't honestly know because we do load calcs on every job so everything is always sized right. There are alot of guys on here who still cannot believe that there are guys out there that don't do load calcs. This is exaclty why you do them! However, if we did get it wrong, we would make it right at no charge to you. Give them one more chance and lets see how they handle things.

Ok I'll post back tomorrow evening a let you know how things go.

You wanted cheap and you got it.

Have you ever bought something cheap that was good?
    You got what you paid for.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bburns114 View Post
    Well that's kinda what I wanted to know. I wanted to do things as cheap as possible so I didn't have to change out the furnace. But if the system is never going to turn off and they are going to tell me i'm not getting enough CFM's and need a new blower I might as well do it. Not knowing much about these systems I don't want to be taken for a ride. I was concerned about the size of the condensor but if the tech is right about a bigger unit not going to get the air any cooler then I guess upgrading the furnace would be the next option.
    So when you do upgrade that old furnace, it will be more expensive and so will the overhead.
    Thought that one through well...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Stand down, Gunny.

No need to jump on the guy.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast