trane xl16i air conditioner doesnt cool to setting

We love our Trane, it is quiet and my wife no longer has a drafty kitchen. However, it just passed the 1 year warranty and entered our second cooling season in Chicago. We have the thermostat set at 78 degrees but it seems to run at 80 or 81 actual temperature for most of the afternoon and early evening. What has to happen to get the high cool setting to come on and bring the temperature down? How can you tell when the unit is running in high cool mode or low cool mode?

Thermostat makes the call, depending on the thermostat it should say stage 1/2 cooling on it when running. Thermostat makes the decision based on how long the units ran after X amount of time switch to second stage or the gap of temp it has to make up.

add: the xl16 is a single compresser if it has issues cooling first stage it will have issues cooling in second stage. Call a pro and be reasonable with him sometimes if your nice they'll come out for warranty if its a bit after just to make a good impression.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

If you have a two-stage thermostat (no point not having one IMHO if you have a two stage furnace or A/C), it should tell you if it's running on low or high (sometimes 1 or 2).

If you have a single stage thermostat, then usually it is set up so that the unit runs on low for a certain amount of time and then switches to high until the thermostat demand is met. This "works" but loses one of the major benefits of a 2-stage system (the ability to have long run times on low or switch from high back down to low and have continuous operation when the demand exceeds the low stage capacity).

Did it do this last year, too, or is this a change in behavior?

Trane/ A/S units must have a 2 stage cool tstat to operate, only a 2 stage furance has the ability to run off a single stage tstat.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Nothing I can find shows that the unit is in HIGH or LOW mode.

I have looked through the manual and at the thermostat and neither seems to show either HIGH or LOW for either the HEAT or COOL settings.

The manual is for a TCONT802AS32DA and on the back of the thermostat it has TCONT802AS32DAA which says it controls the "two step scroll cooling unit".

Twilli says call installing company
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilli--

Will call tomorrow when they are open. Just wanted to know how to check before I bothered them. Do you know how to find out if it is high?

Joe Six--

I am not aware that it did this last summer.

Thanks, Jeff.

Angry No DIY on a two stage set-up !

Quote Originally Posted by IndoorAir View Post
    Do you know how to find out if it is high?
    Thanks, Jeff.
    You call a service tech.
    Ask him,
    What is the amp draw for each stage!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Thanks Dan,

I will include "amp draw for each stage" in the questions tomorrow. We have no intentions of touching the thing, I just want to be sure it is really working. I have watched our electric meter which is right beside the compressor and when the unit is running the meter speed never changes. It doesn't seem possible that both stages use the same electricity? I have read references that some thermostats tell you what is on for HIGH or LOW cooling, but I can't find where mine does. Is it just a Trane thing?

Regards, Jeff.

Smile

Talked to our installer, they have new owner.

It was cooler than the weekend, so we set the temp down 3 degrees to 75 and it keep it right on the number all day. So we will have to wait for a hot day to see if it can't keep up like last weekend.

He said he didn't know how to tell if the XL16i was in HIGH or LOW mode, except by putting a meter on it to see how much current it was drawing. I don't have such a meter. So, we scheduled a normal maintenance call to test/tune everything for the season.

Hi IndoorAir:

How is the deal test/tune on yours?

I have same question regarding whether AC is running at high or low stage.

I am from NJ, replaced my 25 years old AC with Trane XL16i with Honeywell VisionPRO two stage thermostat couple weeks ago. It is pretty hot in last couple days and AC kept temperature just fine. Except it is cool down too fast some time, I am wondering if it will running at low stage.

Another question is for thermostat. Dealer mentioned that "there is not enough wires for the two stage thermostat, so they installed a controller module by the furnace and thermostat is only a display." Is this true?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12345 View Post
    Hi IndoorAir:

I am from NJ, replaced my 25 years old AC with Trane XL16i with Honeywell VisionPRO two stage thermostat couple weeks ago. It is pretty hot in last couple days and AC kept temperature just fine. Except it is cool down too fast some time, I am wondering if it will running at low stage.

Another question is for thermostat. Dealer mentioned that "there is not enough wires for the two stage thermostat, so they installed a controller module by the furnace and thermostat is only a display." Is this true?

Jeff
    Have them install a Honeywell IAQ thermostat.
    It will control your 2 stage, and only needs 3 wires at the stat. A module does get installed at the indoor unit. But you will have 2 stage control by the stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?