Thread: Surges of Condensation Causing Overlow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Surges of Condensation Causing Overlow

I have been battling with a situation where I have a Rheem Split unit in the crawl space. The drain lines are dumped into a condensate removal pump. I noticed a week or so ago that there was significant amounts of water under and around the condensate pump. I put a new pump in as the old was filled with slime. The next morning, the same thing. I had the HVAC guys run a new drain line from the unit to the condensation pump. We checked the trap and cleaned aout any debris we could find. The next morning, the same thing. It is around 5 Gallons that are being dumped a day and is all around the condensat pump. I have it sitting in tub now with a sump pump in case it happens again that will dump the overflow into a 5 gallon buckett. The condensate pump has about a 10 foot run, 4 foot vertically, to the main drain line on the house which is above level of the pump due to it being in a crawl space. My only conclusion so far is that I am getting a surge of Condensation drainage for some reason that is so much that the condensate pump can not handle it. We have tried three pumps to ensure it wasn't the pump and I have sat down there for hours without being able to see anything other than the pump operating normally. Help! Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    is the drain primed?

Post Likes
    So how do you prime the drain? Would this be causing the surges? When I am looking at the pump I can see the water draining indot the condensation pump holding tank. The pump works and then starts filling again.

Post Likes
    furnace with coil or air handler with coil??

does drain line have a trap?

if drain is on negative pressure side you could get a large rush of water when unit shuts off if drain is not trapped.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    furnace with coil or air handler with coil??

does drain line have a trap?

if drain is on negative pressure side you could get a large rush of water when unit shuts off if drain is not trapped.
    i would go with that.. if it doesnt have a p-trap on it and it needs it then it will not drain until the unit turns off and that would cause a surge of condensation.. and to figure out if it needs a p trap or not i was always told that a pull through which is the blower is closest to supply side then it needs a p trap..

Post Likes
    Call a service company. Let them diagnose the problem this time, instaed of you guessing.

Post Likes
    Could it be over flowing the drain pan in the air handler.

Post Likes
    The drain line is trapped and there is a vent after the trap. I believe it is an air handler with coil. Could it be the pan is overflowing and then rushes water out?

Post Likes
    when the tech was there did he check the whole system.. such as filters and charge and so on

Post Likes
    If they powered the pump to the fan circuit it will shut off when the unit does. If they did not trap the drain line you could in fact have alot of water sitting in that pan just kind of blowing away from the drain line opening while the fan is running.

Fan shuts off, pump loses power, water then drains freely into pump.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in