Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tango View Post
    Gas is not an option - Unless I want to pay the local utility company to run a line down the street to my address (over $10,000).

Just had a little bit of sticker shock on the first estimate - Will post all estimate information this evening after I get them all.
    Dang. How far do you live from the pipeline?

First set of infomation

Well here we go:
    1. 2 ton Trane XL15i (single stage) w/variable speed air handler.
    2. 2 ton Trane XL16i (2 stage) w/variable speed air handler.
    3. 2 ton Goodman SSZ14 w/variable speed air handler.
    4. 2 ton Goodman SSZ16 w/variable speed air handler.
    All the above include Programmabls thermostat, Labor, & Materials
    ---------------------------------------
    The one below was the only one that included replacing the refrigerant piping in the quote. The first guy never said anything about it, which is a minus to me.
    5. Rheem Prestige Series Heat Pump
    RPNL-024JEZ (2 ton, 13 seer, 8.5 hspf)
    RHSL-HM2417JA
    RXBH-17A10J

Options:
    Aprilaire Air Cleaner (M# 2200)
    VisionPRO 8000 Prog/Therm
    RHLL-HM2417JA Air Handler (2 ton 14 seer, 8.9 hspf) [

Reem Prestige Series 2 Stage Heatpump w/Var/Speed air handler & VisionPro 8000 - RPRL-024JEZ, RHPL-HM2421JA, RXBH-24A10J (2 ton, 17 seer, 9.5 hspf)
    ----------------------------------------
    The third guy left a mess of chicken scratching that I can't read - not a good indication of how he does business. So I can't list it since I can't read it.

The fourth guy is going to chack prices and get back with me. He was big on Nortek (not sure of the spelling). He also wanted to run two or three additional ducts.
    Last edited by The_Tango; 06-09-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Might want to read site rules....No pricing

It is against forum rules to post prices. please remove.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    It is against forum rules to post prices. please remove.
    How can he remove pricing. He's manning the revolving door for the estimates.

Sorry about pricing

Sorry - I have removed the pricing.

What I would like is help on systems. Do I need a 1 or 2 stage, Variable speed or not, ect. How do I get a sense of a company unless I have them over and talk to them? And what is the best for my needs.

The installers don't seem to have a problem with me getting estimates from other dealers. Am I to assume that everyone here goes to the store to buy a wigit and doesn't look at the price. Or takes a car to a shop and says fix the brakes, and I don't care what it cost.

The installers don't seem to have a problem with me getting estimates from other dealers. Am I to assume that everyone here goes to the store to buy a wigit and doesn't look at the price. Or takes a car to a shop and says fix the brakes, and I don't care what it cost.
    Nope. Everybody wants to know price before they buy something.

But i think with the amount of guys you have lined up the guys here might
    be remembering those sales calls they have been on where guys are literally lined up out the door waiting they're turn to make a presentation.

Personally I think you are just going to to confuse yourself the more people you talk to.

You don't need 2 stage. 2 stage is a comfort enhancement feature. How much is your comfort worth to you.

You don't need a VS blower. It also provides enhanced comfort. It can also over come some duct work problems. Along with a slight increase in efficiency.

The no prices, is because what one contractor charges has no bearing on what the next one has to charge.

And yes, I do take my car to the garage and just say fix it. They call me later and say, " are you sitting down now" ?

Do you really want the cheapest guy, installing your brakes? I don't.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

How do I get a sense of a company unless I have them over and talk to them? And what is the best for my needs.

The installers don't seem to have a problem with me getting estimates from other dealers.
    I was just kidding and implying that with 5 quotes in one day they would be waiting on the revolving door. Take your time and any confusion can be solved with a little research.

Unfortunately you can not really shop a/c installation. You need to get a referal from someone you know. The installation is the most importent part of a replacement job, not the equipment. Do you have a company that you have done business with, that should mean alot to you since you have already had experience with them.

Personally if you have the extra money to invest I would strongly recommend 2 stage variable speed.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

And yes, I do take my car to the garage and just say fix it. They call me later and say, " are you sitting down now" ?

And I think that is a great comparison to the kinds of customers we have.

They trust us to do the job and don't quibble over the bill.

I know I ain't the cheapest guy in my town. Don't wanna be either. That's because like Beenthere I provide service that knowledgeable and is done right the first time.

If we get a call back and a part has failed that we installed, we take care of it if it's under warranty for no charge.

Knoxville

Tango, I do not blame you for getting five estimates. Usually, prices come in at every extreme. Get some references from the prospective installers & contact them about their installations. Try to determine who has your interests at heart. Your ductwork will need to be checked to see if it is adequate for a heat pump. A heat pump in Knoxville is the way to go. Our weather. our electrical rates make it the best choice. Some advice that I can give you is to check on the TVA Heat Pump Financing Program. Even if you do not finance the installation, TVA will completely check the installation including air flow & capacity checks. You can have peace of mind knowing that your new heat pump is installed & performing the way it was designed to do. Tell your prospective installers that you want to have your heat pump inspected by TVA before paying. This will filter out some of your prospective installers & give you peace of mind with your decision & your new system.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

TVA?

I thought that died with the Johnson's "Great Society" of the middle 60's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast