Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is Nortek a real option & Might add elertic furnace????

I will go hungry but I can't stand being cold. The last few day have been in the 90s with the house also being in the 90s. With a few fans I am suriving it, so my cooling needs aren't as high as most people. In the past I have never cooled the house below the low 80s. Now in the winter I always have the house set to 74 or above.

Is adding an elertic furnace to the system a good idea or will the HP be able to maintain this on its own?

Am leaning toward the Rheem RPNL-024JEZ (2 ton, 13 SEER, 8.5 HSPF) - RHSL-HM2417JA - RXBH-17A10J

Might add option RHLL-HM2417JA air handler (2 ton, 14 SEER, 8.9 HSPF) which just a little more.

Still waiting on the guy that wants to go with the "Nortek" (Single stage, single speed unit). Like most comsuners, if it is not a Major brand then it is unheard of. Is Nortek a major player or is it a ebay brand?

The installer I am leaning toward is the olny one that wanted to replace/resizr the tubing an has been in business over 30 years.

I hope to decide tomorrow - any help is good.

You would still need electric aux heat. That would be to temper the air when the HP goes into defrost, and for those times the OD temp is too cold for the HP to heat the house by its self.

Can't tell you about Nortek.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

"Beenthere"

I know everyone goes on & on about the install but Brand/Model does matter, one of the reasons I don't own a "Yugo".

I have seen a lot of post about don't buy that one, its a builders model which won't last. Or the quality of that "brand - model" is junk. So even though everyone talks install there does seem to be some strong opinions about the different units.

Given the same install what is the preferred brands/models.

These are what I am considering at the moment. Since the weather is about to cool off a bit I am not in a brake neck hurry. Since I am retired this is a LOT of money to me an I don't want to make a bad decision.
    Trane
    XL15i
    XL16i

Goodman
    SSZ14 w/variable speed air handler.
    SSZ16 w/variable speed air handler.

Rheem
    RPNL-024JEZ
    RHLL-HM2417JA
    RHSL-HM2417JA
    RXBH-17A10J

Aprilaire Air Cleaner (M# 2200)

I have found it sad that not a single company has measured the existing duct work, ask about the existing insulation, counted the number of windows, ask if the existing unit filled my need, measured the existing hard lines (one did), all the stuff that seem important.

I would pick any of the other units over the 16i.

The Goodman 16 is single stage, if I want that high of a SEER, I want 2 stage.
    Rheem has had a reliable platform for years. So I wouldn't have a problem using it for my house either.

If I was on a budget, I would probably go with the Goodman 14 SEER with VS blower.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tango View Post
    I have found it sad that not a single company has measured the existing duct work, ask about the existing insulation, counted the number of windows, ask if the existing unit filled my need, measured the existing hard lines (one did), all the stuff that seem important.
    Sad? well unless your dealing with a very large company "most" of us are swamped right now and have very little time for change outs, service calls are eating our lunch. I try and educate my customers to try and get this kind of stuff done during the cooler months, so we will have a lot more time to address their concerns. I think this attitude is fair for both the service company and the customer, unless you have personally been in a seasonal related business you have no idea how we scramble to try our best to help everyone in good faith as well as we can, so please don't be to hard on company's that just can't come and spend the day with you and go over every little detail right now. If you can wait until things cool off a tad I feel you will get what your looking for pretty easy, Just my thoughts.
    Mr. Bill
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123