Thread: Gas leak ?????

Gas leak ?????

Ok I know I am anal to start with but is this right. They put in the new furnace and new meter and gas line. they pressure tested it at 10 psi for 10 minutes or whatever. Then the gas company came and removed the pipe from the meter and tested the meter and used the sniffer.

Here is the anal part; I looked at the meter after they left and the lower left dial says "1/2 foot" and the needle was right on the O in foot. Nothing else is gas in the house and I didn't have the furnace on just AC.

I looked at the dial today and the needle on the 1/2 foot dial moved about a needles width. I realize this is probably a very small amount but could it be because its so hot here 93 degs and sunny ??

It moved this much in about 21 hours and doesn't seem to move any further .

So..... problem or not. Never had NG before so ... Also we have 1 CO detector in our Bdrm is that enough ?? We have a smoke det on the cellar level,at top of cellar stairs and in our main hallway ( Ranch) I assume this is enough. Should we have a NG detector too ???

Thanks guys bear with me the Valium will kick in soon

without knowing what type of furnace you have its hard to say why the needle on the meter moved... does your furnace have a standing pilot light that is lit? As far as CO detectors are concerned, generally 1 detector on each level of the home is sufficient... provided that you can hear the alarm anywhere on that floor if it sounds. Natural Gas is what is called "self-alarming" In other words... if its leaking you will smell it.

no standing pilot and it doesnt seem to have moved anymore ?? I would assume with the amount it moved it wouldn't use .05 worth of gas in a year but nt sure. I dont smell any gas near any fittings ???

Its probably fine... personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you smell gas or notice a large change over time.

if we go away for a long period of time and return, I will have my wife go in first and turn on the lights !

I just wondered if being in the heat so much expands the gas just a minute amount enough to just slightly move the needle

......Here is the anal part; I looked at the meter after they left and the lower left dial says "1/2 foot" and the needle was right on the O in foot. Nothing else is gas in the house and I didn't have the furnace on just AC.[/quote]

Hmmmm. Did I miss something? Is it not customary to commssion the furnace? You know, such things as check gas pressure, temperature rise, air flow/static, etc.

I would think the process would consume more than 0.5 cu. ft. of gas.

AM

Well AFTER they left from doing the start up is when I looked at it and NOTHING has been run using gas since they left. I just looked at it again and it hasn't moved .

I guess I should have spelled it out better but again I looked at the meter after al the running and start up and they were gone !

That small of a movement is nothing to worry about.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I mark and watch the meter on all my installations, after pressure testing. We call it clocking the meter. Ensures there is no leakage.

But sometimes I fool myself and think the dial has moved from where I marked it....the reason, I hold my head at a different angle relative to to meter!!

That small amount of movement, nothing to worry about.

Dave

I just looked again and still no more movement, maybe it has gas