What's the best whole house fan???

Several years ago, I was going to purchase two whole house fans for my house but never got around to it. Now I'm shopping again and the manufacturer I had previously liked was Broan. But it appears they're not making them anymore, despite the fact that they're still listed on my utility's list of those qualifying for a rebate. (Broan doesn't show whole house fans in their product listing on their home page.)

So can anyone suggest an alternative, i.e., quiet, reliable, good value? The manufacturers OK'd by my utility are Air Vent, Butler Ventmatic, Certainteed-Air Vent, Dana Stevensons, Dayton, Fanman Deltabreeze, GAF Master Flow, Grainger, Kool-O-Matic, Nutone (that's the same as Broan I think and maybe not available), Quiet Cool, Tamarack, Triangle Engineering and Airscape.

Any suggestions on models would be helpful, too. Our house is large so we probably want the maximum CFM available.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob

Twilli says something from Ronco, for sure
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Belt drive is quieter, multi speed is nice. Most important, make sure you have enough ventilation on the exhaust side of the fan.

Ours is an Attic Aire; had it for about 4-5 years, no problems.

If you get the Ronco, get the model that comes with the fishing lure.
    Last edited by Cub; 06-08-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Info added

Twilli, you're pulling my leg, right?

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says something from Ronco, for sure
    I guess you got my question mixed up with someone else's question about the best pocket fisherman when you suggested Ronco. See, I was looking for a whole house fan!

Anyone else with a serious suggestion? It's getting hot in this house!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by montalvo View Post
    Several years ago, I was going to purchase two whole house fans for my house but never got around to it. Now I'm shopping again and the manufacturer I had previously liked was Broan. But it appears they're not making them anymore, despite the fact that they're still listed on my utility's list of those qualifying for a rebate. (Broan doesn't show whole house fans in their product listing on their home page.)

So can anyone suggest an alternative, i.e., quiet, reliable, good value? The manufacturers OK'd by my utility are Air Vent, Butler Ventmatic, Certainteed-Air Vent, Dana Stevensons, Dayton, Fanman Deltabreeze, GAF Master Flow, Grainger, Kool-O-Matic, Nutone (that's the same as Broan I think and maybe not available), Quiet Cool, Tamarack, Triangle Engineering and Airscape.

Any suggestions on models would be helpful, too. Our house is large so we probably want the maximum CFM available.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob
    I had the tamarack whole house fan at my old place and it seemed to work pretty good on those days that the temp dropped at night and the house was still hot. Pulled in that cool air through the bedroom windows. It was quiet and easy to install too. Just don't use it with the air on, or all the windows closed!