Attic has no vents

My 70 year old house has no soffits. The attic is finished and has windows at each end. However there is a large crawl space around the unfinished portion of the attic . This area has no way to vent since the windows are in the finished portion. I had insulation blown into the floor of the attic so there is a barrier between the attic and the second floor. My question is does it make sense to open up the inspection access doors in the finished portion of the attic and vent the unfinished portion of the attic into the finished portion. This would allow the unfinished portions heat to vent out the attic windows. Or should I leave the unfinished portion sealed up. No one uses the attic and there is an attic fan in the finished portion that I don't use after reading comments on this board. I live in Washington dc and it gets hot in the summer. thanks

No ventilation in attic

I think i am going to open up the access ports to the attic crawl spaces. Any opinions regarding this would be appreciated Thanks

You might not have insulation between the floor of the finnished attic, and the ceiling of the other floor. This would put additional load on your A/C. Even if it is insulated, you'll be adding load to your A/C.

Look for small gable vents above those windows.

If its truely not vented. Have vents added that don't effect the finnished attic.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the response. The 3rd floor attic, although finished, is not used so its supply and returns have been closed off. So unless I am wrong opening the access doors to the unfinished crawl space around the finished portion of the attic would not add to the ac load. Also there are no small gable vents and there is blown in insulation betwen the attic floor and the floor below.

Does the finnished part of the attic get as hot as the area you want to vent to it.
    If not, then you will be adding ot the A/C load.

The vents are closed off. Are they sealed, or does some air leak by the dampers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?