Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ants?

thank you. I believe that was the brand of ant repellant stakes that I bought earlier in the week and placed around the unit. (when it went out the first time) (can't use the pellets because I have dogs and now all I need is to have one of them poisioned) We'll see if they helped when I call the A/C guy out. Of course, it is STILL not working (and currently 89 degrees in the house)

When I sell or service a heat pump or ac, I have a 4 page instruction sheet I give customers. I may add something on fire ants. Then it will be 5 pages.

I don't know why other contractors don't do the same thing.

And you can be sure my name and phone number is on it!
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by marge View Post
    and, just one more thing:

Try to get a loan at your bank. See how many disclosures that you get BEFORE you even sign any paperwork. When you actually sign the paperwork and read it..see how many things are disclosed as possible problems with your loan. Better yet, move into a subdivision and don't read your CCRs. See how you get cited for violations...for having a company vehicle in your driveway, for example. But, you get a packet of information that shows what is expected and what will happen if you don't do it.

This industry (HVAC) needs similar disclosures. Even with the tire example, disclosures are given with examples of what could go wrong. Why not when you plunk down $8k for an a/c unit?
    So, according to your theory, a homebuilder should be liable if your home should have an infestation of mice, bees, vermin in general? It's just not logical. The guy told you to get rid of the ants. You already fessed up to having been advised. You chose not to. Go figure.

Seriously. That is a great idea. I am sure that most of the other contractor's "unreasonable" customer issues are because of the same ignorance that I had. And, let's face it, it really sounds bogus if you don't know any better. I know that your clients appreciate your advice and you get a lot of referrals because of it. Best of luck with that!

I'm just not getting through to you on this subject. Perhaps someone here has the telephone number for Trane. Maybe they can explain it better than anybody here has. Or,there's something a little deeper. I just don't know.

Actually, a builder IS liable for the first year for any pest infestation according to the mortgage companies.

Tech told me LAST YEAR about the ants. Said they were a result of the drought. Last year, I put out the ant stakes. Did not think that it would apply this year, because there is no drought. (thus, logically speaking, no ant problem) Besides, it is the very beginning of summer and I had not seen any ants anywhere else. I was skeptical about the whole ant story last year, too because absolutely nobody that I spoke with had ever heard of this. However, since the problem appeared to be solved, I didn't dwell on it.

When Tech came to service the unit (now about 3 weeks ago), would it have been a horrible thing for him to say something about the ant potential??? I was not even considering the possibilty because, like I said, there is no drought. (and, in my logical brain, no more problem).

Kevin's answer is the best that I heard.

I've already e-mailed Trane. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by marge View Post
    Actually, a builder IS liable for the first year for any pest infestation according to the mortgage companies.
    And ,your unit is how old?FIVE YEARS. Give the fine people at Trane a call, talk to a live person,email isn't the way to go on this one , see what they have to offer . You are one tough cookie Marge . I'm going away now . Good Luck with this problem .

Wow,

This has become very interesting.

To Marge......If you would like, I can give you the number for Trane in Raleigh.

However, from what I see, the system is 5 years old? The compressor may be covered under a part warranty. Don't quote my but it is possible.

When it comes to servicing your unit. It should be done twice a year. And the tech should report any findings that are out of the ordinary. With that being said, 3 weeks is a long time for ants. They may not have been there 3 weeks ago. Since then they have moved in and done serious damage. Theres nothing you can do about that other than to keep an eye of these things.

Things you can do. Obviously treat for fire ants. They are everywhere in NC. My yard had a few colonies. But the neighbor was clean. Its not something you can control without doing treatments.

There is no such thing as a unit that is sealed against infestation. Theres got to be openings for air. Thats how these systems operate.

Fire ants are attracted to the electrical contactors. Only reasoning I have ever heard is that they are attracted to the humming noise the contactor makes when closed. You may now be able to hear it but they can feel it. And thats what they are attracted to.

This being said, they will get inside the unit reguardless. They like to build homes there. Reason being is because they are a little more protected from the elements as well as little creatures (crickets, spyders, lizards, etc...) will venture into the unit. And thats the perfect time to get food for them.

I highly doubt Trane will do anything for you. You are in denial. Its not your fault but at the same time, you can't blame anyone else. Its an act of nature. If you hit a deer in your car......its not your fault, its not the deers fault, and its not even your mechanics fault. Thats what you are attempting to do here.

The best thing you can do is get on with it. Its a bad situation and you will learn from this. And soon, it will all be behind you. When you realize that things are out of anyones control, then you will get along just fine.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

ok, looking back over, I don't see anything about a compressor??? Where did I get that from???

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    ok, looking back over, I don't see anything about a compressor??? Where did I get that from???
    She's expcting to have to replace the condenser,so she said.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    She's expcting to have to replace the condenser,so she said.
    ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

Now I am understanding a little more. Contactor vs. Condenser

Well......

they both start with a "Con" and both end in a "r".....I can see the similarities.

I would go with the Condenser.......if it costs more, it must be worth more...

Its been a long day. 5am I was upside down inside a Manitowoc. By 8am on the roof with a Trane..... I can't wait till Thursday when I'm off call.

Ants no fault of technician

How can you not pay the service call when ants got in your unit. Call an exterminator to spray the area. Don't blame your A/C tech. We would replace your contactor and then fire you as a customer. People wonder why service companies have to lie and upsell products, its because onest companies get scewed when homeowners don't want to take responsibility. You have an ant problem not a heating and cooling problem, that is the end result of the ants.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast