Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ants?

Post Likes
    no, that is not true. Last year, when I was told of the issue, I bought the service contract and put out ant traps. The tech had come out twice since that time and everything was peachy. Then, suddenly, two weeks after the last service, ants have miraculously reappeared and destroyed the part. My argument was....if they were there two weeks ago when you serviced the unit, why didn't you tell me? I am not buying the fact that they destroyed the part in less than two weeks time...and, yes, he brought it in to show me...but, there was nary an ant on the thing. I don't know what it is supposed to look like, but, it did not look burnt or anything.

I paid for the part, not the service call since he was just there and did not say anything.

Again, if there was even a possibilty of ants present...at the service call, should I not have been warned to put out ant traps? THere is not a drought this year, so, I would not have had any idea that ants could/would have any interest in my A/C unit.

I am a banker, not an HVAC person. That is why I pay HVAC people to do HVAC work. I have no idea about ants (or anything else) getting into A/C units.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marge View Post
    Well, I guess that I have been told....

The problem is that I have never heard of insects or anything else getting into an A/C unit. I grew up in Chicago and my parents had the same A/C unit for 20+ years and never had any kind of problem other than servicing the unit occasionally. My father always told me...buy quality and you will never have to worry about it again. That is what I did and that is what I expected. Servicing it twice a year, keep the air filters clean and that would be it until long after I was gone.

Nobody that I know here in Charlotte or anywhere else in the world, for that matter, has this issue. I have friends and children, even, with units that are far older and far less quality than mine. So, you can understand my skepticsim.

thanks for the input
    I'm in uptown Charlotte asphalt paradise....You'd think it would be rare but I always find insects and crap in my units. Another thing ants can be a part of is corrosion. It seems to be the most of a problem in areas where shrubs are close to the unit or the unit isn't elevated enough with pine needles covering the bottom of the outside unit.

You usually see one A/C system per household. I bet some of these guys see 1000's of A/C during the year. The pool which the can pull from for stories is much larger.

I don't know but I get contactors on them to replace the old ones that didn't.

Although I can't personally say any ants have caused problems with cont actors I dealt with I can say the if it was in the contacts when the contactors pulls shut I could see it getting damaged rather quickly along with a fried ant. We get rid of contactors for pitted surfaces or should be because of the poor contact area.

I did find a water bug stuck in a contactor.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Post Likes
    Well, now you do . I could think of a million reasons not to pay . The right thing to do is pay them for the service call . I'm not trying to give you a hard time . This is a matter of doing the right thing . If you feel you've done the right thing , then so be it .

Post Likes
    Just one scout ant getting stuck between the contacts when the contactor gets energized can cause arcing and pitting of the contacts.

There may not have been any ants present 2 weeks before it failed, or 2 days, or even 2 minutes.

Post Likes

Ants- 'Act of Nature'

There is always someone who wants to blame the technician for either ants or his dog chewing low voltage wires on condenser.

Best advice I could give you is covered contactor and seal holes around panel of condenser with silicone or tape and put rubber tape along edge of panel where it connects to unit.

Next call an EXTERMINATOR to get rid of your ant problem.I know customers that had pest control guy's out the same week as a/c service and still had ants.

So, better find a way to get rid of them or be HOT this summer and Blame it on the HVAC man, he brought the ants with him ..LOL
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    One day no ants, and the next day a hill of dirt and ants. They are busy critters. Suggest that you get some granular ant treatment at the hardware store and spread it out and around the outside equipment. Out say 20 feet.

Consider it part of maintenance just like changing air filters, cleaning the condenser fins, and keeping the condensation line clear.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksandfan View Post
    One day no ants, and the next day a hill of dirt and ants. They are busy critters. Suggest that you get some granular ant treatment at the hardware store and spread it out and around the outside equipment. Out say 20 feet.

Consider it part of maintenance just like changing air filters, cleaning the condenser fins, and keeping the condensation line clear.
    I hope you mean the property owner . I can't carry all the parts that I might need , let alone pest control products .

Post Likes
    Heck yeah, the property owner takes care of ants.

Wasp nests are a kind of gray area.

But Marge dodged a bullet with ants in the contactor. The nasty ones here go straight for the compressor wires - right at the terminal. Marge, consider it a blessing in disguise that now you know before they chomp on your compressor wires.

Post Likes
    no, that is not true. Last year, when I was told of the issue, I bought the service contract and put out ant traps. The tech had come out twice since that time and everything was peachy. Then, suddenly, two weeks after the last service, ants have miraculously reappeared and destroyed the part. My argument was....if they were there two weeks ago when you serviced the unit, why didn't you tell me? I am not buying the fact that they destroyed the part in less than two weeks time...and, yes, he brought it in to show me...but, there was nary an ant on the thing. I don't know what it is supposed to look like, but, it did not look burnt or anything.

I paid for the part, not the service call since he was just there and did not say anything.

Again, if there was even a possibilty of ants present...at the service call, should I not have been warned to put out ant traps? THere is not a drought this year, so, I would not have had any idea that ants could/would have any interest in my A/C unit.

I am a banker, not an HVAC person. That is why I pay HVAC people to do HVAC work. I have no idea about ants (or anything else) getting into A/C units.
    You are just flat out wrong. You are so wrong you would be very embarrassed by what you wrote if only you knew the truth.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksandfan View Post
    Heck yeah, the property owner takes care of ants.

Wasp nests are a kind of gray area.
    That's what I thought. Agree, wasp spray is the only pest control that I carry .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    You are just flat out wrong. You are so wrong you would be very embarrassed by what you wrote if only you knew the truth.
    I'm trying not to beat this homeowner up too much.That being said, when they don't get the answers they want ,they get upset . I mean how much are we supposed to be responsible for ? Marge shouldn't be surprised if this company fires her ,I would .

Post Likes
    well, who knows? that might be what has happened now. remember, my A/C is still out and the whole purpose of this post was to learn something before I called the A/C guys back out. I really hate not knowing/understanding what I am paying for. (yes, a typical banker)

Guess I'm gonna have to sweat...buying a new compressor now is just not in the budget. Being a mortgage professional in the banking industry is just not secure enough at the moment to tack on additional debt.

I have learned a lot through this experience:

1. Buying "quality" does not mean anything anymore. I should have gone with the cheaper unit installed by the guy down the street like my son did. He has no problems and lives across the street from me. (and, is apparently, ant free)

2. There is a whole industry that preys on the ignorance of homeowners; (by not giving instruction nor information regarding the possible dangers to the potential destruction of your very expensive piece of equipment that you have now purchased) and, quite frankly, profits by it. (and it is not just mortgage people as is portrayed by the media)

3. The guy that invents units that repels such pests or makes the unit uninhabitable to these pests is bound to make a fortune.

4. There needs to be some kind of insurance that a person can buy to prevent these things or else a waiver that a person must sign alerting them to these dangers.

thanks to everyone for your input. Maybe you will understand your customers a bit more now. Most of us are not out to intentionally be unreasonable. Probably the reason is that we appear to be unreasonable is that we simply do not know or understand the situation. Spending $8k for an A/C unit 5 years ago leads one to believe that it is an investment into the future, not something that needs to be replaced 5 years later. (bugs or no bugs) This is a fairly traumatic experience for the homeowner and so they react in that way.

Appreciate the knowledge, however. We'll see what happens from here.

Post Likes
    well, who knows? that might be what has happened now. remember, my A/C is still out and the whole purpose of this post was to learn something before I called the A/C guys back out. I really hate not knowing/understanding what I am paying for. (yes, a typical banker)

Guess I'm gonna have to sweat...buying a new compressor now is just not in the budget. Being a mortgage professional in the banking industry is just not secure enough at the moment to tack on additional debt.

1. Buying "quality" does not mean anything anymore. I should have gone with the cheaper unit installed by the guy down the street like my son did. He has no problems and lives across the street from me. (and, is apparently, ant free)

2. There is a whole industry that preys on the ignorance of homeowners; (by not giving instruction nor information regarding the possible dangers to the potential destruction of your very expensive piece of equipment that you have now purchased) and, quite frankly, profits by it. (and it is not just mortgage people as is portrayed by the media)

3. The guy that invents units that repels such pests or makes the unit uninhabitable to these pests is bound to make a fortune.

4. There needs to be some kind of insurance that a person can buy to prevent these things or else a waiver that a person must sign alerting them to these dangers.

thanks to everyone for your input. Maybe you will understand your customers a bit more now. Most of us are not out to intentionally be unreasonable. Probably the reason is that we appear to be unreasonable is that we simply do not know or understand the situation. Spending $8k for an A/C unit 5 years ago leads one to believe that it is an investment into the future, not something that needs to be replaced 5 years later. (bugs or no bugs) This is a fairly traumatic experience for the homeowner and so they react in that way.

Marge,I'm a little slow so bear with me . How in the world does the brand name ,or cost have anything to do with ants ? You could spend twenty thousand and still get ants in the contactor . It's not your "fault." These things just happen . Nor is it the contractors "fault" Again,what could they do to satisfy you? Or can they? Ants in the unit doesn't mean the unit needs to be replaced. You purchased an above average condensing unit . Don't blame the brand name .

Post Likes

Attention Homeowner...

Your new unit is subject to fail under these conditions:

Insects in contactor

Lightning strikes

Vandalism

Theft

Fire

Being run over by vehicles

Being shot at if there is a bank robbery near by (darn stray bullets)

THIS LIST GOS ON AND ON...YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!

This is no different then gettin a flat tire and complaining that you were not warned driving over a nail would cause it...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post

This is no different then gettin a flat tire and complaining that you were not warned driving over a nail would cause it...
    But they were top of the line tires . (five years ago) How on earth can they go flat?

Post Likes
    You see, I was operating under the (mistaken) premise that if I bought a quality system that it would last me for the next 25 years or so with the only issues being periodic maintenence and changing air filters. I did not know about ants possibly entering the system and messing it up, did not know that anything outside of a major weather event or a fire could damage it. Nor was I told that this was a possibility. I am a first time homeowner but I managed apartments for 10 years before buying this house. I NEVER heard of this issue before. (nor had anyone that I know) My father, now deceased, was a handyman and I often followed him around while he repaired stuff. He used to say that the only time you had mechanical things break were if they were not serviced or if they were poor quality. I was following his guidance, buying good quality and having it serviced regularily. And, quite "coincidentially" the $8k for the unit came from the inheritance that my father left me. So, I was trying to do what he told me to and still came up with the short end of the stick. I feel as though I am being sucker-punched right in the gut.

Ultimately, I now know that my poor father was, at best, mistaken. I am sure that we could come up with an entire other post about being from another era when things were made well, but, it really does not matter at this point.

And, for the person that said that the HVAC company should fire me...no worries. HVAC people are a dime a dozen and I will just be a lot smarter when I finally call someone to look at the unit to see what the problem is. It won't be the company that I bought the unit from, however. What could they have done differently? How about making a brochere outlining possible dangers to your unit and what you, as a homeowner, can do to prevent them?? It really would not cost a lot and, boy, it sure would prevent a lot of the misunderstandings that result. And, guess what? You would have a customer for life.

Post Likes
    sorry, dude. I have tires that prevent nail or other damage with guaranteed replacement for the life of the tire.

And, yes, I paid extra for them. Because I am a banker and I don't like surprises.

Post Likes

Try AMDRO fire ant killer. It is yellow granules about the size of rice grains. Sprinkle it around your unit periodically. Also sprinkle it anywhere in your yard you see ants. It is a slow poison that they carry back to the nest. In 3 days all the ants are dead. I tell this to any of my customers that have ant problems. It is not the contractors fault you have ants, but I think he should offer a solution if that problem is common in your area. So I just offered you one. Now it is up to you to implement it. And remember to retreat any time you see ants. Also retreat around your unit monthly as ants are very mobile.

Good luck
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    and, just one more thing:

Try to get a loan at your bank. See how many disclosures that you get BEFORE you even sign any paperwork. When you actually sign the paperwork and read it..see how many things are disclosed as possible problems with your loan. Better yet, move into a subdivision and don't read your CCRs. See how you get cited for violations...for having a company vehicle in your driveway, for example. But, you get a packet of information that shows what is expected and what will happen if you don't do it.

This industry (HVAC) needs similar disclosures. Even with the tire example, disclosures are given with examples of what could go wrong. Why not when you plunk down $8k for an a/c unit?

Post Likes
    thank you. I believe that was the brand of ant repellant stakes that I bought earlier in the week and placed around the unit. (when it went out the first time) (can't use the pellets because I have dogs and now all I need is to have one of them poisioned) We'll see if they helped when I call the A/C guy out. Of course, it is STILL not working (and currently 89 degrees in the house)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in