Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is extended warranty worth $$$$

I live in south Florida about 8-10 miles from ocean. I just purchased a Trane xr13m (TCK) package unit that will be mounted on aluminum gable rack. Comes with 5 year warranty. To extended to 10 year all parts is $. To extend to 10 year all parts AND labor is $. Is either recommended?
    Last edited by jrbenny; 06-08-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtyogi17 View Post
    I live in south Florida about 8-10 miles from ocean. I just purchased a Trane xr13m (TCK) package unit that will be mounted on aluminum gable rack. Comes with 5 year warranty. To extended to 10 year all parts is $. To extend to 10 year all parts AND labor is $. Is either recommended?
    remove your prices. They are not allowed.

And yes, the 10 year parts/labor warranty is always recommended. Especially at that price.

You live near the water.....you will surpass the price of the extended warranty in under 5 years easily. Probably sooner.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 06-08-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

I would say being that I work for a home warranty company, that its a gamble. If something happens and you have it and its covered, then its paid off. If nothing happens and you dont use it, well.

Like the saying goes.

Better to have and never need it then to not have it and need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I would say being that I work for a home warranty company, that its a gamble. If something happens and you have it and its covered, then its paid off. If nothing happens and you dont use it, well.

Like the saying goes.

Better to have and never need it then to not have it and need it.
    Hes 10 miles from the ocean

He will need it. Thats a promise.

What home warranty company do you work for???

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Hes 10 miles from the ocean

He will need it. Thats a promise.

What home warranty company do you work for???
    I work for a small company that covers Mostly Phoenix & surrounding areas called American Home Guardian.

I understand what your saying being that close to the ocean. I lived in Houston and it was known that resale on cars from the Galveston area where low because of the salt erosion from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I work for a small company that covers Mostly Phoenix & surrounding areas called American Home Guardian.

I understand what your saying being that close to the ocean. I lived in Houston and it was known that resale on cars from the Galveston area where low because of the salt erosion from the air.
    Your lucky. I can't stand them home warranty companies around here. They aint worth nothing.

The salt in the air eats everything. And it loves them AC units. Copper, metal, electrical conductor.........I can see why.

Unlike a home warranty, The factory extended warranty won't force you to use the cheapest contractor they can find.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Your lucky. I can't stand them home warranty companies around here. They aint worth nothing.
    HAHA yea my instructor had a conversation with me about how he would get called to these warranty AC jobs and they are told only fix the problem, thats it. Being a tech and all you want to upsale and prevent future problems. My instructor told me that he would just go and say they need a new unit and they stopped putting him on the warranty calls.

Whats good for me is that when I get out of school I will get some good service calls for a few years instead of grunt work which I have actually done before. I replaced units in homes in Houston for a year about 10 years ago.

But yea funny you say that cause he said the same thing.

The biggest problem is they don't fix anything.......

Find a 30 yo system with bad compressor. Recommend replace unit......2 days later theres a compressor sitting in the shop.

When a unit is replaced, its not sized, its not matched, its not anything. Just throw this 2 ton Payne in.....it'll match the 38 yo GE electric furnace.

Oh yeah and did I mention the non-coverables. Go to customers house...

Good news, we got a unit for you compliments of the warranty company. Bad news is well need another check for $XXX.XX and we can have that installed by days end.

What, oh the extra charge is for equipment disposal, another deductable, refrigerant charge, refrigerant recovery and disposal, the list goes on.

Home warranty companies aint worth the money put into them. Big scam if you ask me. Even worse than car insurance. At least with car insurance, my car gets fixed the first time.

clarification

This warranty is from the installer and I'll assume Trane. This is not from one of those home warranty companies. They said I have a year to decide if I want to purchase. The installer gives me a 2 year parts and labor warranty upon purchase of unit. I'm thinking of going with 10 year parts AND labor. They said I must get it serviced once per year to keep warranty valid.

This warranty is from the installer and I'll assume Trane. This is not from one of those home warranty companies. They said I have a year to decide if I want to purchase. The installer gives me a 2 year parts and labor warranty upon purchase of unit. I'm thinking of going with 10 year parts AND labor. They said I must get it serviced once per year to keep warranty valid.
    Yes

Get the warranty. 10 years parts and labor

Yes

Get the service contract for a semi-annual preventive maintainence.

Yes

You are on the right track. Get the previous 2 and enjoy your new system

The biggest problem is they don't fix anything.......

Find a 30 yo system with bad compressor. Recommend replace unit......2 days later theres a compressor sitting in the shop.

When a unit is replaced, its not sized, its not matched, its not anything. Just throw this 2 ton Payne in.....it'll match the 38 yo GE electric furnace.

Oh yeah and did I mention the non-coverables. Go to customers house...

Good news, we got a unit for you compliments of the warranty company. Bad news is well need another check for $XXX.XX and we can have that installed by days end.

What, oh the extra charge is for equipment disposal, another deductable, refrigerant charge, refrigerant recovery and disposal, the list goes on.

Home warranty companies aint worth the money put into them. Big scam if you ask me. Even worse than car insurance. At least with car insurance, my car gets fixed the first time.
    Your right and wrong.

Reason being is I have been employed here since February. I have ran into customers that never used it but needed something done because the inspector found something needing repairs before sale.

I have found where new home owners have bought a house and 2 months later they have a water heater leak and its replaced for under $50 total. (heh, not including disposal fee. Another $50) but still $100 to have someone replace your 50 gal W.H. paid off for that year.

There is different levels of warranty you can buy. Some that cover everything and others that dont cover corrosion and things like that. Seriously though I have seen where it has paid off. Compared to what they would have had to pay.

I wasn't trying to derail your thread. I understand this wasnt a company warranty. I was just stating that its probably worth it to get the warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast