Return Vent Whistle/Run Times

Hi,

I just had a 3-ton Ducane system installed. My return vent is 32x16 and is located in the main hallway. When the system turns on there is a loud whistle coming from it. I went to remove the filter to see if it helped but when I lowered the grill the noise stopped. I tried rotating the grill but the whistle continues.

Any suggestions?

Another question: The system will be set for 73 and the inside temp is 73 however, the system will turn on and run for about 20 minutes and shutoff for 5 and then run again for 20 minutes. The inside temp will never go above 73 before the system turns on. Is this normal? Are the run times correct?

I live in New York and it was 95 today.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by derekdeben View Post
    Hi,

I just had a 3-ton Ducane system installed. My return vent is 32x16 and is located in the main hallway. When the system turns on there is a loud whistle coming from it. I went to remove the filter to see if it helped but when I lowered the grill the noise stopped. I tried rotating the grill but the whistle continues.

Any suggestions?

Another question: The system will be set for 73 and the inside temp is 73 however, the system will turn on and run for about 20 minutes and shutoff for 5 and then run again for 20 minutes. The inside temp will never go above 73 before the system turns on. Is this normal? Are the run times correct?

I live in New York and it was 95 today.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    You need to call the contractor back out. The whistling sounds like air moving around the filter rather than through it. You can check that by simply removing the filter for a few minutes and close the return grille.
    If the sound stops, then you got it. If the sound continues, could be a seal issues. Still address it with the installer contractor.

Sounds like your tstat is set-up wrong. CPH is off. Have the installer fix this. Do not attempt it yourself.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Call your contractor for sure! It could also be a cfm or velocity problem. Maybe the free air space on the grill is not large enough for the duct connected to it. Check cfm and feet per min. You might also need for return air for system.

Return Vent Whistle/Run Times

Hi,

I removed the filter and closed the grill and still have the whistle. I will call the installer back this week. Any suggestions on what I should say to him, he has been a jerk since the installation, too bad he was a recommendation from a family friend who has no issues.

I have a Honeywell pro Thermostat, TH4110D, It does not have any information about CPH? Any suggestions.

thanks,

Derek

put a clean filter back in the system or it will cause other issues
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

It is a new filter, the system is brand new.......any other suggestions?

just suggesting to put it back in if you left it out
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus