carrier infinity vs. performance

Live on the cost of south Florida. 2000 sq. foot house. Replacing a 10 seer AC unit and want to know if it is worth a $1600 cost difference to buy the Infinity 17 seer verses the Performance series 15.5 SEER?

Hmm Worth is relative to Your Comfort definition

Quote Originally Posted by kmfuss View Post

Live on the coast of south Florida.
    2000 Sq. Foot house.

Replacing a 10 seer AC unit and want to know if it is worth a $1600 cost difference to buy the
    Infinity 17 seer verses the Performance series 15.5 SEER?
    http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...mparison.shtml

I prefer a scroll ...
    ... Infinity 21 series

How much is Comfort ( lower Relative Humidity) worth?

A unit that runs at 5 [ 2] SEER higher might save ~20% [8%] or > $150 [ $60] per year.

Buy the 10 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Salt air

No. Because the salt air will eat up your coil in short time (usually before the warranty runs out) By the way I don't know of any manufacturer that will warranty against corrosion. Before you recoupe the extra money you would be saving on electricity you will need at the very least a new condensor.

kmfuss

check the performance numbers...

Performance 15 AC 3 1/2 ton
    1249728 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 15 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24APA542A30 FE5ANB004+UI 42500 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB

Infinity 17 AC 4 ton
    1249827 Active Systems INFINITY 17 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANA748A30 FE4ANB006+UI 48000 11.80 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB Yes

Infinity 21 AC 4 ton
    1076819 Active Systems INFINITY 21 PURON AC CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ANA148A30 FE4ANB006+UI 48500 13.40 17.30 1 RCU-A-CB

Trane's coils hold up better in a salt air corrosive environment..

IMO

Thumbs up TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    kmfuss

Trane's coils hold up better in a salt air corrosive environment..
    TRUE
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

They must have changed something in the last seven years, then. Because that is when I moved away from Panama City(pay was and still is lousy). But do they warranty corroded condensor coils. I was working on American Standardand and Trane back then alot. The bristle fincoils that amer. stand. used would start falling apart in less than 5 years. I know trane uses a fin type coil but was unaware that it had any type of coating on it. The problem I have with both of these found that the factory will not put there money where there mouth is when it comes to a product that is supposed to have a 19 year design life. I have a real problem with evaporator coils in both brands that are failing right after warranties expire. And the cost of these coils WHEW. At one time until they increased the price on there air handlers the coils where more than the air handlers where. Which led to alot of my customers to have a really bad taste in there mouths about both brands. Which in turn led us into dropping both lines for residential. The commercial line is ok as long as you don't get them with those blasted short tube orrifices. There own oil clogs them up and are a pain in you know what to change over to x-valves. By they way I now work about 50 miles from salt water. Alot nicer customers to work for when you get away from tourists.

If its humidity that your more concerned about, the Infinity 17 SEER (TS compressor)will provide the better control of it.
    It has the lowest capacity in first stage of the Carrier line.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?