Replacement HVAC Compressor or entire Condensor Unit + System?

I have a Residential HVAC system that recently stopped blowing cold air through the ventilation system. According to the service repair person the condenser unit (outdoors) Model: York MC36-6G was not working properly due to the compressor, which seems to be tripping the fuse box inside the residence.

They mentioned that the fix would entail not only needing to replace the entire condenser unit, since its 22+ years old (but regularly maintained) but also need/want to replace both the coil unit attached to the furnace inside the residence and the furnace itself.

Is there any validity to this? They mentioned that if we replace only the condenser unit with a new condenser unit, the coil unit and furnace may not and/or would not be compatible with the new condenser and the equipment may not possibly not fit together, if I don't replace the entire system? True - Not True?

Is there a way to find out what the part # of the compressor is and if a replacement or similar OEM or after-market compressor part is available for replacement? If not, which manufacturers and units/systems would you recommend. The service representative mentioned that we should not go for anything below the 13 Seer 3 Ton. I later found out that the 13 Seer is going to be a regulatory minimum mandate in the next couple of years for the industry. Thank you for taking the time to read my posting. Your expertise and recommendations will be held in high regard. If you seek any additional information I will try my best to advise you. I am also available through email and PM. Thanks.

Chances are the furnace doesn't HAVE to go but if it is as old as that Yorkie, it should. If going much above 13 SEER, you may need a new furnace with variable speed blower to get the full efficiency. Definitely the indoor coil needs to go and be matched with whatever you choose for outdoors. Only a hack would put a new outdoor unit on that relic York coil.

13 SEER has been the minimum since the start of 2006.

What he said.

The York lasted 22 years. Why not stay with York.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What he said.

The York lasted 22 years. Why not stay with York.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post replacement

Replacing only the condenser will create a mismatched system. Efficiency will fall short and energy consumption will probably be higher. Replace the entire system and get the full benefit of reduced energy consumption and maintain the value of your home.

after 22 years there's a good chance your coil is leaking, maybe slightly.

i would replace the condensor, and make sure the size matches.(tons)

if you don't have much money to spend then the SEER rating isn't a factor.
    ...and you won't get any efficiency with a mismatched system.

if you have cash to spend, now is the time to think about getting a higher SEER system, and replacing everything.