New Unit Or Re-duct?

Built house 4.5 years ago. Its a 2000sq ft home with high ceilings. the house faces west and has alot of windows. My home is located just north of Dallas Texas. The problem is my side of the house stays warm in the summer and cold in the winter. Another problem is my house keeps a high humidity level. It will stay around 60% in the summer. My original installer has not done much to help the sitiuation. I even installed a de-humidifier to bring down the humidity. I have hired another installer to help me out. He tells me after doing a manual j test my house only need a 4 ton unit. My homes has a five ton unit. He also tells me that my side of the house does not have the correct duct size of vent size to properly cool it off. He has given me two choices. I can re-duct the house and add the proper vents and returns or I can start over with the correct size unit and ducts. The price of the reduct is $$$$, and the unit would be $$$$$$. That unit is a 4ton 16seer heat pump from carrier. I think its called the infinity series. My current unit is a 5ton 12seer goodman heat pump. There is a 1000 rebate on the new unit and he will give me a cash credit of $$$$$and buy my equipment for a $$$$ dollars. That will bring the price to $$$$$. Forgot to mention that my current unit has a freon leak also. I would also have to pay to fix that if I stay with the current unit. Now the question, which way should i go? I am willing to buy the new unit if it will fix my comfort issues and mabee save me energy money? Any advice?
    Last edited by kkmcewen; 06-07-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: CANT SHOW PRICE

Please read the rules. No pricing.
    Edit out the prices. Thank you.

Sounds like your new contractor is ok.
    Replace unit and fix any duct work that needs it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I agree with beenthere.

Sounds like you found a contractor thats going to fix your problem and not try to find a big band aid.

If your cool with replacing such a young unit, go for it. And you'll be upgrading to a higher efficiency. And the newer refrigerant I hope.

Sounds like a sealed deal. Get the ball rolling before it gets too hot.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

first off, you need a Man J heat/cool load calculation in writing..

IMO

First, Beenthere, how do I edit the prices out? Second, should I keep the de-humidifier I have installed with the central air or should I take it out with the old unit and just rely on the correct size unit to remove the humidity? I have someone that will buy it if I remove it.

with the correct size of unit you will not need a dehumidifier. make sure you go with a variable spped furnace when you replace. If it was my house, the original company would be buying my new system

How long do you plan to live in the home? If you plan to stay in the home for a few years it would be wise to correct the duct and replace the equipment. If the original unit is too large it has probably been short cycling, along with the refrigerant leak you will probably experience a shorter than normal life from this system. This along with the fact that you will not be completely correcting the problem without replacing the equipment also points to replacement. With a properly sized system you should be able to remove the dehumidifier. I would not worry about getting the manual J calculation in writing as long as you are confident your contractor will stand behind their work. The written manual J would probably make no sense. I personally will not give this to my customer until I have an agreement to do the work or charge for this service. It sounds like you found a contractor who is concerned with doing a proper job if they are willing to guarantee their work I think the complete project would give you the lowest long term cost and the best comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmcewen View Post
    First, Beenthere, how do I edit the prices out? Second, should I keep the de-humidifier I have installed with the central air or should I take it out with the old unit and just rely on the correct size unit to remove the humidity? I have someone that will buy it if I remove it.

Lower right side of your post, you should see edit, quote, and that other thing.
    Click on edit, and then you can delete them.

I would keep the dehumidifier. On load load days, your A/C may not run enough to keep the humidity down.

Many contractors won't give you the written Manual J.
    Thats so other companies can take advantage of their leg work and low ball them.

It is perfectly acceptable for a company to charge you for them, if they don't have a signed contract. Ans then deduct that fee from the install when you sign the contract.

Some home owners don't understand that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?