decision needed for new system - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, that would be Rheem/Ruud thats energized in heating.

Trane's overall design, is the design they got when they bought GE. Its not their own.

Don't start a bashing war.
    Your correct.

I haven't seen a York HP in almost a year now.

I'm not starting a bashing war. Just trying to help the man get his 15 posts to get pro. What easier way than to offend him. Get his attention and he'll respond to everything posted. Then before he knows it, hes well past 15 and didn't even have to try hard.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Its an open forum. The general public reads it. So its not a good way to help him get his post up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its an open forum. The general public reads it. So its not a good way to help him get his post up.
    true

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

York vs Heil

Well, here is a view point;

York~13.0 S.E.E.R. Heat Pump
    Heil~ 13.0 S.E.E.R. Heat Pump

York~ Air Handler/w/heat package
    Heil~ Air Handler/w/ heat package

Ductwork sealed with the correct amount of supply and returns , line-set is new and electrical is sized properly..

Look can you see any difference in the (2) systems as long as they are the same size and BTU rated system.

I can't.
    So, as yourself which person gave you the best deal on system and you trust more.then call around ACCA, BBB and ask your neighbors who they use.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

That must be why Johnson Controls bought York then... they like the cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    Well, here is a view point;

Look can you see any difference in the (2) systems as long as they are the same size and BTU rated system.

I can't.
    They are the same nominal, but not the same true capacity.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up

Also request ... 10 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

York is better

York is better than Heil Equipment-which is an subsidory of ICP, which makes Tempstar, Arcoaire too name just a few. All which are considered "B" rated equipment. York is comparable to Rheem/Ruud, but is not at the level of Trane/American Standard. If I had to compare York is like a Honda/Toyota, Heil- is a Yugo, and Trane is a Lexus.

I would spend as much time checking out the contractor you have chosen to install the the system as the equipment. It is the contractor and the install crew that is going to determine if this project is successfull or not.
    Last edited by Gourmetaz; 06-08-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo's

Tane is a Lexus, huh?

I would believe it with the price of em

I do like Trane units. You definately pay for their equipment.

more info

Thanks much for the feedback. The present unit is a Trane. All I know about the age is that it is 6+ years. I am going to find out the model number tomorrow and the date of manufacture.

There is the possibilty of replacing the heat exchanger, burners, igniter, and switches. My inspector thinks the problem with the unit might be from the seller having his dryer vented into the crawlspace rather than outside. There was also damage to the ductwork in the crawlspace so this is highly possible.

Once I find out the model number and date, I want to call a Trane dealer and find out if there is any chance the unit is still under warranty. I would like to also have a Trane dealer look at it and give an estimate for repair. Neither of the two estimates have come from Trane dealers.

Any thoughts on repair versus replace? If I go with repair, it is all the seller's expense, but I do not want to be foolish.

Thanks, everyone!

If you post model and serial here....

we can tell you age.

and probably continue helping you best we can.

So get the flashlight and report back.... You have 5 minutes.....

We'll wait

Unhappy Model and serial number, etc.

model BYCO24H1LOAA
    Serial S451439740

Date manufactured: 10/86 so when they said 6+ years I suppose one should be thinking 20!

I'll definitely thinking replace now. What do others think?

Definitely not worth replacing a heat exchanger in a 22 year old furnace. Go with a new system, whichever one you decide on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast