Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused decision needed for new system

I'm buying a house and dealing with estimates from the seller on replacement of the HVAC system. One estimate is for a York system with warranties of 20 years on heat exchanger, 10 years on factory compressor, and 5 years on all parts. This is the more expensive estimate.

The other estimate is $600 less and it is a a 13 seer Heil with 10 year warranty on parts and 1 year on labor.

I know very little about differences in systems and need to educate myself quickly. Any feedback you could offer me? I get that who installs the system is key but can you give me feedback on these two brands and the seemingly huge difference in their warranties.

Thanks much!

I don't know exactly which York system the contractor has suggested... but in my opinion York offers the best equipment on the market today. Being a 28 year service technician in the industry... The advances York has made in the quality of their products in the last 5 years rivals any manufacturer today. Hopefully this more expensive system is variable speed. But in all honesty... without knowing the specifics of both systems... All I can offer you is my advice on the manufacturers... Go with the York.

Need model numbers to make a comparison.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by air-doctor View Post
    I don't know exactly which York system the contractor has suggested... but in my opinion York offers the best equipment on the market today. Being a 28 year service technician in the industry... The advances York has made in the quality of their products in the last 5 years rivals any manufacturer today. Hopefully this more expensive system is variable speed. But in all honesty... without knowing the specifics of both systems... All I can offer you is my advice on the manufacturers... Go with the York.
    Yeah like the new line with your favorite football teams and colleges on them..

Thats real advanced. Special paintjob and welcome to the 21st century.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Why don't you take a look inside Iraqvet... I guess in your mind something can't be good if it looks good on the outside. But then I guess maybe you are one of those people my mommy warned me about that always judges a book by its cover... GO PACKERS (even without Brett)

Quote Originally Posted by air-doctor View Post
    Why don't you take a look inside Iraqvet... I guess in your mind something can't be good if it looks good on the outside. But then I guess maybe you are one of those people my mommy warned me about that always judges a book by its cover... GO PACKERS (even without Brett)
    I aint got nothin against Brett. I was pullin for the Pack this year to be honest with you.

I have looked inside the units. I look inside a lot of them. But, you claim York has made drastic improvements in the last 5 years.

Well, just a little information for you.

Trane hasn't changed their overall design or components in God knows how long......and they still don't need that fancy paintjob to sell em.

Aren't York units energized in heating??? I think so. I wonder what brainiac thought of that idea.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Not sure what you mean by energized in heating... and have nothing against Trane/American Standard, They make great equipment. But if you look at the innovations that York has made in heat exchanger design and their Freq Drive variable speed venter motors coupled with their infinitely variable burner input... (just to name a couple of their innovations) you will understand why the rest of the industry is scrambling to catch up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post

Trane hasn't changed their overall design or components in God knows how long......and they still don't need that fancy paintjob to sell em.

Aren't York units energized in heating??? I think so. I wonder what brainiac thought of that idea.
    No, that would be Rheem/Ruud thats energized in heating.

Trane's overall design, is the design they got when they bought GE. Its not their own.

Don't start a bashing war.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, that would be Rheem/Ruud thats energized in heating......
    Could you elaborate on this? Is this 'model-specific'? Other than providing power (to board?) to operate blower, what is energized?

AM

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I aint got nothin against Brett. I was pullin for the Pack this year to be honest with you.

I have looked inside the units. I look inside a lot of them. But, you claim York has made drastic improvements in the last 5 years.

Well, just a little information for you.

They did a redesign in 2001. WTH have you been?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? Is this 'model-specific'? Other than providing power (to board?) to operate blower, what is energized?

AM
    Only thing different with Rheem/Ruud HP, is the RV is energized in heating mode instead of cooling mode. Nothing else is really different.

Rheem/Ruud, is the RV coil fails, its in cooling mode.
    Other brands, if the RV coil fails, their in heating mode.

Thats about as much tech allowed in this forum.
    Contractor locator map

get 2-3 bids on the ac have the owner give that amount back after closing then choose your own contractor that way you get a nice system and the only york i like is the affinity

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    They did a redesign in 2001. WTH have you been?
    they changed the cabinet. Not the overall design of the inside set-up.

I have been all over the world. Thanks for asking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast