Cooling questions

Hello:
    . We live in Citrus county Florida. Around 92 today. .We just had new Trane 15i put in. Variable speed air handler also. I came home around 5 pm. I had temp set at 78, came home moved it to 76 and three hours later still running. said 76 on gage but I guess it had to go down just a little more to shut off. finally I just turned temp up to get it to shut down. Company was out and told me it was normal. Hot out side he said. Said if I wanted it 76 or 77 get it there at night and leave it set to that temp. I know the unit on my old house will drop the temp 2 degrees when I get home at 4pm in about 40 minutes, This Trane is not impressing me much. I told guy if I have to do it that way why sell me a programmable thermostat ? Not worth much. He didn't say anything then. He had the air handler set to high but two weeks ago he set it to medium . Reason was it was nice temp out side but high humidity. System would come on but blowing so hard it would reach temp before humidity came down and shut off. Humidity continued to rise in process. Would you recommend setting the blower back to high or do most houses use medium speed. On install last month they had set it to high because we added a Florida room to cool. Also went up in size of unit at install to cover extra space. So not sure what speed the handler is best set to. Any one from Florida with view of speed setting and if this is normal for a Trane unit

You added a Florida room? You got more load to deal with now.

If I recall correctly Pepster, you sized the system with the Florida room in mind (originally had a 2.5-ton unit). On hot days, what you're describing doesn't sound out of the ordinary. I lost power and once I got it back, to go from 75 back to 72 took around 5 hours. When you've reached your design temperature outside, have high heat/humidity, have a large load, etc., this doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

Is comfort r enabled.

Since you have a VS blower.
    You might want to up grade to a IAQ thermostat. They can leave teh blower set to high, and set up the stat to slow teh blower only if the humidity is high. If the humidity isn't high, it will let the blower run at high speed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

hey Ray:
    Nice to see you here.Thanks for the info. Perhaps my other house being smaller is just able to cool faster. This tech just made me wonder. I am told as I was at work he never checked air flow or temp or air handler. Just checked outside unit. I had asked if he would take a quick look at return duct. From grill it goes over the 2 x 4 s in one place. It is pulled tight and the wood presses at least 25% up into the duct. What i mean is it looks to me like it is compressing the round flexible duct. Would you not think this needs to be changed. I have read where filters restrict air flow so figure this might be restricting it a lot. He never looked. I figure I need to get it cut some way and moved away from the wood. No holes just pressing into duct. Last month was 1 st electric bill since new unit. We used quite a lot more electric with this 15i than we did with the 13 year old Rudd last year. That is why I am really trying to find out all I can about how it should be set up

A crimped return duct can effect it a lot.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?