Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yep, Florida here. About 15 miles southeast of Tampa, as the crow flies. The insulation values (according to what the contractor wrote down) is R-30 in the ceilings and R-16.45 in the exterior block walls. You said something about the design temps are probably around mid 90's and 98 most likely exceeds the design temps of the system." I guess that would explain why this unit runs all the time in the summer. Geeze....everyone knows Florida freaking bakes down here....why the h*** would someone put in a unit that is not designed for the heat?? But after some of the things I saw and dealt with during construction, I believe it! I will look into tint and have someone check the insulation in the roof.

I noticed today in my son's room that it gets pretty warm in there even though the temp at the register says 61F. His room is on the southern side and is the farthest from the Trane. His sister's room is on the northern side of the house about 12' down the short hall and her room stays comfortable. The tstat is right in the middle between their rooms. My room is at the other end of the house right between the attic unit and the OD unit and it is always chilly in there. Maybe there isn't enough insulation at the far end over my son's room?

Thanks again
    Charlie

your'e sniffin the right trail charlie.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

I think you need to really spend sometime to investigate your home and find all the air leaks in the home, as well as add alot of insulation in your attic should be the first thing on your to do list tomarrow as that will help immediately and lower you inside temps quit a bit for starters. I would also change those mini blinds out for some white shades on the south and west side of your house, and when your at the store but a case or 2 of that Great Stuff foam insulation and seal all electrical boxe's and ceiling penatration/electrical boxes. Also check you duct runs and see that everything was seal properly if not get that done asap!! When you have a few of these itmes done you should notice a big change in your indoor temps. This of course is easier to do in the winter months as colder air is easier to find then hot air is, but you obviously have no choice in the matter right now. Have fun, and good luck

Ok RieckTech2
    I'll check the ducts etc...hopefully I can get to them all without falling through the family room ceiling! Seriously though...I will check them. Incorrect A/C size or installation is what really worries me. I don't think they are going to replace them at this point under warranty for something like that. I am hoping they will send a different tech next time. The last one wasn't telling me much of anything except the price of the labor and that the attic was hot. Duh. I am going to ask for a different tech so we'll see what happens.

nchvac
    Thanks for all the pointers! Actually it was the guy who installed the system that approved the filters but it never hurts to try what you suggested. Who knows? Might be part of the problem! No crawl space, it's a block house with slab floor. (carpeted everywhere but bathrooms and kitchen in case that makes a difference.) Hmmm. So much for the ceiling fans. And I thought we were doing a good thing! Gonna turn em off and see what happens!

Smittyii
    Thanks for all your help today! We really appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

Charlie

Charlie

If the outside temperature is at the design temperature then your air conditioner will run most of the time. It is removing the amount of heat it is designed to remove. It is also removing humidity that makes the body feel warmer, because perspiration used by the body for cooling cannot evaporate as quickly in a humid environment.

The other postings about the fans are correct - motors throw off heat and that is staying in the house to work against the air conditioner.

For Florida, you can get a lot of benefit by a radiant barrier in the attic. This can be a foil barrier or a sprayed-on metallic paint. It keeps the heat from moving through your roof into the insulation and then into your ceiling. Good information can be found at the FSEC website sponsored there in Florida.

Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Design temp is 91 for Florida, acording to Manual J Ver7.

So if they used its design temp, it doesn't suprise me that it loses temp when its 98° outside.

Check how high you insulation is in teh attic if its blown in. Once in a while, an insulation sub contractor migh fluff it, and it settles and you don't really have R30 then.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

you should look into solar screens on the outside of the windows .

Does the attic have plenty of ventilation? intake and exhaust.

Hello:
    I read your post and it could be us . We live in Citrus county. Just north of you.We just had new Trane 15i put in. Same type house too. I had temp set at 78, came home moved it to 76 and three hours later still running. said 76 on gage but I guess it had to go down just a little more to shut off. finally I just turned temp up to get it to shut down. Company was out and told me it was normal. Hot out side he said. Said if I wanted it 76 or 77 get it there at night and leave it set to that temp. I know the unit on my old house will drop the temp 2 degrees when I get home at 4pm in about 40 minutes, This Trane is not impressing me much. I told guy if I have to do it that way why sell me a programmable thermostat ? Not worth much. He didn't say anything then. Try the tent. We have bank of windows facing west. It helped. Also vertical blinds. The other day I took the old roll down blinds we had on Florida room and hung them on outside of those windows too. When really hot I lower them too. Seems to help. Good luck. I think we both need it.

Pepster, if you think your A/C should drop the temp 2 degrees in 40 minutes, you're crazy. The system would have to be grossly over-sized to do that and you wouldn't be happy with that. The system has to run to remove the humidity.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Some reputable home inspectors use an infared imaging device that will immediately identify heat sources in any room. Might be worth investing in a call to one of these folks, instead of chasing your own tail. I know a great inspector in N. FL., he has shown our customers things that they were arguing with us about. Solved some problems that an ac man isn't in the business to fix (windows, insulation-etc.)

Florida? High sun angle, high humidity...would not think twice about adding radiant barrier, ensuring all flex ducts are stretched tightly, all duct connections, plenums, and boots sealed, and doubly ensuring those silver tubes hanging from the plywood have adequate insulation on them.

Humid climate with high solar heat gain...the house has to help keep you comfortable as well as the a/c system, bottom line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast