Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I really appreciate all the suggestions, ideas, advice and websites that all of you took the time to post! I'm checking into things and probably going to start with tint on the southern windows. The garage is on the west side of the house so there is only one small insulated bathroom window on that side. The east side has a tree line that shades it and the north side has a roof overhang that shades the front windows at all times.

I wish we had fought the contractor on the radiant barrier. We wanted that and my husband found a supplier. The contractor told us he never does that because there is always problems with outside materials being there on time on his tight schedule. This was in 2005 when we contracted for the house. After going thru the hurricane year of 2004 in our older frame house which was literally breathing (could see and hear the walls moving back and forth) in 70 mph wind gusts, we wanted a HOUSE and foolishly didn't argue.

Pepster2, we're with you on these new Tranes and wondering what is up with them. Our old house had it's original Trane heatpump which was over 20 years old and we never had these problems with it. I liked it so much, I was happy when the contractor said he was putting a Trane on the new house. I can tell you for sure that the old house wasn't insulated worth a hoot. I saw that there is another poster named James Broome, also from down here, that has pretty much the same issues. Kind of makes you wonder what happened. The summers have always been very hot and humid down here, that much hasn't changed. Like you said, Good Luck to all of us getting these Florida Tranes on track!

Thanks again to all!
    Charlie

It's not too late for radiant barrier. The spray-on products are less effective than the roof deck with radiant barrier already applied, but it is far more effective than leaving the decking without any radiant barrier. If you have ductwork in the attic, radiant barrier returns a double positive in not only reducing heat gain to the house, but also to the ductwork in the attic, so you effectively get more capacity out of your a/c system without changing or tweaking the system.

the problem isnt trane,(the best imho), the problem is in the install and load calculation. ie finding the right system for the conditions it will operate under. the trane unit is delivering 61 degree air under severe heat gain. good job trane! get the heat gain under control and you will see and feel the difference.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123