Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy been a year and it's happening again

Hi all!
    I posted last year about my Trane XR12 3ton A/C unit model 2TWR2036A1000AB. It was running all the time, couldn't keep the temp in the house and finally couldn't cool at all. The unit manufacture date is Oct 2005 installed new in our May 2006 house. The inside unit is up in our attic and the coils were replaced last year as they had rusted/corroded away already. The outside unit is on the southern (yeah I know....HOT) side of the house. We live in Florida in southeast Hillsborough county which is near Tampa.

We are back to the same old problem. House is set for 76 and is heating up to 79, unit runs all the time until sun goes down. We are getting 60F at the register nearest to the unit and 61F at the room farthest away. The tstat is a Honeywell and is mounted on the hall wall at the opposite end of the house from the unit. The house is 1600 sq ft. block construction. At the time someone mentioned our well and sulfer problems. We had a well aerator installed within 3 weeks of the last repair and it is working very well so the sulfer can no longer be the problem.

This unit always seems to run constantly even to maintain. Even when things seem fine it runs for 15+ minutes and only shuts down for 2-3 minutes. Our old house was on the same lot and was frame above a crawl space and we didn't have any problems like this. The electical bills now are really high in summer.

Ok. I think I gave all the details...hopefully... lol Is there a possibility this unit is too small for the house? There is a cathedral ceiling in the family room/kitchen. (about 20'x30') I'm really starting to wonder about Trane...
    The parts were warranty work but I got yanked hard on the labor/trip fees. I can't afford this annual mess. I was reading on another post about possible tstat and/or second stage problems. On our tstat when I turn it down, as the digital number drops, it flashes "heat". When I stop pushing the button it just goes back to it's normal "cool on". It never says anything about 2nd stage or anything else. Of course I don't know if I have a second stage system so maybe that's why...

Any help is greatly appreciated. If I missed any details, let me know. Sorry for the length of the post, I was trying to cover everything.
    Charlie

You don't have a second stage. Have you changed your air filter recently. How hot is it outside when it runs all the time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Do you wait till the house heats up to turn it on?
    What are the air temps as they enter the return air grille and then at the filter location?
    Are your ducts in the attic or under floor crawl space?
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Thanks beenthere

The filters here are changed every 4 weeks due to my son's allergies. We use American Air Filters Dust Shield. The A/C guy said they would be fine with this system. It got up to 98F outside here today out in the "weeds" where we live. I am sitting here now wondering if it could be insulation...the sun dropped down past the trees on the side of the house and the A/C dropped down to 76 pretty quickly which is what it is set for but it still hasn't shut off. The only time the roof gets shade is in the morning and afternoon. Would shading the outside unit help? I read an article on msn that was called 25 ways to keep cooler and this was one of the suggestions. Another way was window film. Would that help?

Thanks again!
    Charlie

61 degrees @ supply, sounds like some enormous heat gain. check your attic for duct leaks and or lack of insulation on duct work and attic. also what type of windows and draperies do you have?
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

I think you are basically at your OD design temp, or a little above.
    Shading the OD unit won't help much. Attic insulation will. And any thing you do to lower the amount of fresh air infiltration will help also. Seal all switches and recepticles on your outside walls. If you have loose or worn out door seal, fix or replace them.

What area do you live in.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    61 degrees @ supply, sounds like some enormous heat gain. check your attic for duct leaks and or lack of insulation on duct work and attic. also what type of windows and draperies do you have?
    The room temp is 79, and you think a 61 degree supply temp(which is 18° cooler) at the register the furtherest away from the room is too warm???
    Contractor locator map

no, i think it's spot on and should cool the house with no problem. i think he has enormous heat gain from some where to cause it not to get below 79.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Thanks Geodude, and Smittyii

The A/C is on auto all day. It is not shut off. Ceiling fans in all rooms to assist air flow. The ducts are all in the attic. Can't see much down the middle of the house due to cathedral ceiling and the way the roof is constructed but what I see is big, round silver tubes hanging on straps from the plywood. There is a little blown insulation lying on top of some of them...not enough to help.

I have pvc vertical blinds hung throughout the house and they are closed all day on the southern side of the house. (the northern side doesn't get much sun at all and all the windows are shaded by the front porch roof.) The house has cooled now. I will wait till tomorrow and try to get the temps from the returns. (the filters are mounted on the doors of both returns.)

You guys are very helpful and I really appreciate it!
    Charlie

maybe you should get some tint on the so. side windows or tint and draperies.

If I recall right, your from somewhere in Florida.
    Your design temps are mid 90. 98 would most likely be above the design temps of your system.

Do you know what your attic insulation value is.
    Its possible that they have your air slowed for humidity contol.
    Have you had your annual service done yet.
    Contractor locator map

Check to make sure you return is not pulling in attic air from any torn or loose ducts.Keep in mind whether it is Trane,carrier,or Lennox equipment.If initial install was sized,or installed incorrectly you will not be satisfied with the results.Proper install practices are everything. Technician who comes to your home should be able to tell by monitoring pressures,temps,and condensate removed if your unit is big enough.Hope this helps.

Try this. Take your air filter out for a day. It won't hurt a thing, just don't brush the dog or sweep the floor toward the vent. See if this helps. Your air filter may be too restrictive. I don't care what the guy told you that sold you the filter, this is an A/C unit, not an air cleaner. This may make your supply temp rise a couple degrees for a little while, but just see what happens after 30 minutes or so.

Also, try turning off your ceiling fans. Ceiling fans do not cool. They merely make the body feel cooler due to the air circulation. If you aren't in the room, the cooling effect doesn't work or matter. What else the fans do is to circulate the hot air from the ceiling(hot air rises) down to the floor area. Let's turn off the ceiling fans and leave that hot air up there. Turn the fans on in reverse during the winter to help get the heat circulating, not in the summer.

If these don't work, try giving your unit a head start by turning it down a couple of degrees earlier in the morning IF YOU PLAN TO BE THERE IN THE DAY to turn it back up if this experiment does work.

One more thing, if you have a crawl space, make sure that you have or put some plastic down on the ground. You need a vapor barrier.

Only question I have is do you have any type of fresh air vent coming into your unit? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast