Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    461 is a 3 1/2 ton system. valve matches were strange back then and depended on the outddor unit indoor coil match up.

my txv pinches off when the kids knock at the door

sounds like a bad sensing bulb. most likely what will happen a month and a half after you replace the txv, the coil will start leaking and or the compressor will go. 16 years out of a lennox heat pump is a long time, especially if its builders grade.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    461 is a 3 1/2 ton system. valve matches were strange back then and depended on the outddor unit indoor coil match up.
    Thanks. Great info here. The replacement valve is fairly cheap so I am planning on milking this unit till the compressor dies or we have a big leak or something, which as many mentioned may be soon but then again it may be years. I have heard that even the newer units will have problems so I guess as long as the compressor is good and there are no leaks I will put a little bit of money into this system (it was supposed to be a high grade unit when installed 13 seer in 1992, that 13 seer was arse kickin back then lol) I will continue to save up for the BIG purchase of a new system. I kinda feel trapped since I have already made a sizeable investment, it seems like a good gamble to go ahead and put in the TXV, I feel like I can get several months or more out of the silly thing. These poor ole techs do need some work right? We do not want to put anyone out of work here, I mean think what would happen if they started manufacturing bullet proof units and everyone bought a new system? In a few months all you guys would be like the Maytag repair man sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting on that unavoidable pink slip. I drive old cars also so I am used to some minor inconveniences at times, I see a new hvac system about the same as buying a new car the value DROPS LIKE A ROCK lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    Thanks. Great info here. The replacement valve is fairly cheap so I am planning on milking this unit till the compressor dies or we have a big leak or something, which as many mentioned may be soon but then again it may be years. I have heard that even the newer units will have problems so I guess as long as the compressor is good and there are no leaks I will put a little bit of money into this system (it was supposed to be a high grade unit when installed 13 seer in 1992, that 13 seer was arse kickin back then lol) I will continue to save up for the BIG purchase of a new system. I kinda feel trapped since I have already made a sizeable investment, it seems like a good gamble to go ahead and put in the TXV, I feel like I can get several months or more out of the silly thing. These poor ole techs do need some work right? We do not want to put anyone out of work here, I mean think what would happen if they started manufacturing bullet proof units and everyone bought a new system? In a few months all you guys would be like the Maytag repair man sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting on that unavoidable pink slip. I drive old cars also so I am used to some minor inconveniences at times, I see a new hvac system about the same as buying a new car the value DROPS LIKE A ROCK lol.
    You don't have to worry about us running out of work. Its almost 100* outside. I'm suprised I haven't gotten called out already today.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Not Worth It

Do like the others have said. You are working w/ a 16 yr old unit. It's not worth the cost of the repair. Put the money for the TXV towards the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    1992 model Lennox HP19-461 4 ton condensor and CB10-51-2P AH (split system).
    16 years old...Consider replacement. Moisture doesn't compress well. Combine that with a flaky TXV and there's a good chance the compressor's already taken quite a beating.

yes I am considering replacing the silly thing but would like to get a couple more years out of it if possible.
    Find me one homeowner or landlord who doesn't want to "get a couple more years out of it"....

Ya'll do relize how old this thread is right.

461 is 3 1/2 ton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12