Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox multiple problems

1992 model Lennox HP19-461 4 ton condensor and CB10-51-2P AH (split system). 2000 sg ft 1960's ranch with full basement, basement partially conditioned. Multiple problems, started with a burned out capacitor now apparently it has a TXV problem. The diagnosis on the TXV was moisture in the system which was freezing at the TXV it would run normally for about 30 minutes then would freeze right at the TXV, so the system was pumped down and the filter drier was changed/deep vaccum pulled and then virgin refrigerant added. The TXV apparently is bad as it still does the same thing the unit runs great for about 30 minutes cools like a boy dog then the low side pressure gradually drops, they pulled the sensing bulb off the line and said to run it thru the weekend like that the pressure looked right but the superheat reading was still high at 18. It is pretty darn hot here in middle Tn but I was not real sure if it would hurt anything or not running it with the sensing bulb just hanging out in space lol. The part is on order the number on the existing valve is Sporlan T930-3-VGA the note on the AH says it was supposed to have had part number LB-34792BG as the TXV that is probably a Lennox number. Apparently there are two current valves that fit Sporlan DIVE-2-GA-BT/10 or a ALCO ANED2HCA neither one in stock locally. Not that I do not trust my technician but any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated and yes I am considering replacing the silly thing but would like to get a couple more years out of it if possible. I looked at the pro technical forum as I know that is probably the place for these questions, but it appears that you have to pass thru several hoops to get there, I do have a universal card but do very little residential work, just let me know what you can without violating any rules. Thanks

Since it does the same thing, moisture most likely wasn't the problem. Good chance it was teh TXV to begin with. Bring this up to them when they come back to change it.

No measurements or temp readings so not much anyone can tell you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The system is old. Pull the trigger and get it over with. Buy a new one. Fix one thing and in 3 months, something else will break, then 6 months later something else will. You will look back in 2 years when you get tired of it and see that you are not only buying a new system, but have probably bought at least another 1/2 a system in repairs. It's 16 years old, let it retire.

Nothing unusual. You have a defective TXV. Happens occasionally with every brand of equipment. I have 10 TXV's stocked on my truck. I'll be replacing one tomorrow. Capacitors fail occasionally also.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your service company is having a difficult time with the diagnosis.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    The part is on order the number on the existing valve is Sporlan T930-3-VGA
    Actually, it's a Y930-3-VGA... a first generation Sporlan TEV and check valve assy for heat pump systems. It's a 3 ton R-22 TEV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    Apparently there are two current valves that fit Sporlan DIVE-2-GA-BT/10
    BIVE-2-GA-BP/10. This is a 2 ton R-22 TEV with a 10 percent bleed port. There is no internal check in this valve for reverse flow on a heat pump system. Not sure why you would want to replace a 3 ton TEV with a 2 ton unless, of course, you have a 2 ton system. A bleed port in the TEV is unneceesary if the original valve did not have one.

i got news for you. that wasn't virgin refrigerant. it's been in my truck before.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    Not sure why you would want to replace a 3 ton TEV with a 2 ton unless, of course, you have a 2 ton system.
    maybe it was a typo.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Why even bother spending $$$ on a TXV for a 16 year old system. The coil will start leaking next. After that, the compressor will fry because you ran a messed up TXV against the compressor. At 16, it will complain. Pay now or later.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Why even bother spending $$$ on a TXV for a 16 year old system. The coil will start leaking next. After that, the compressor will fry because you ran a messed up TXV against the compressor. At 16, it will complain. Pay now or later.
    ditto.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Should be a very simple repair. Checked on the price for a new system lately?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Hmmmm thanks for all the replys I guess I have just confused the matter. My understanding was that the system was a 4 ton system now I wonder if the wrong expansion valve was originally installed? Maybe it does not matter if you put a 3 ton valve on a 4 ton system or maybe even a 2 ton valve?? Is the HP19-461 3 ton system? Can someone run that unit number and let me know for sure please? Confidence seems to be high that the TXV is the problem. I am considering the purchase of a new system maybe before this next winter I appreciate the suggestions. Perhaps I can cut back on beer/cigs and other stuff to save the required dollars (yeah right). Not having AC in the summer is not a big deal but heat in the winter is kinda important.

It really makes no difference if the right TXV valve was installed. If it ran for the last 15 years or so to your satisfaction then big whoopie. No warranty after this long, that won't get you anywhere. Just pay to fix it and quit complaining, its old.

I had a TXV that pinched off intermittently. A couple of call backs before I actually saw it pump down.

I think you have a 3 1/2 ton.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast