Thread: Humidifier quandry

Post Likes

Humidifier quandry

My furnace has no humidifier attached to it. It's a downflow mounted right to the slab, with no supply plenum. What would be the best style/installation strategy to add a humidifier to this system? I've read it's not great to put a fan powered humi on the return side, but I have nowhere to duct a bypass to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I had one quote done, but he told me I needed a steam injector for over $. That can't be the only way!

Thanks,
    Dave
    Name:  DSCN1087.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  115.5 KB
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-27-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Raise the furnace. Put transition between coil and furnace... mount humidifier
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't show that well but the return vent is a 18x18 through the wall about 3 inches above the furnace so it can't be raised.

Post Likes
    Mister style humidifier spraying in under the a/c coil. Been doing counterflow systems that way for 40 years

Post Likes
    aprilaire mod 700 shows it can go on the return using hot water

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    Mister style humidifier spraying in under the a/c coil. Been doing counterflow systems that way for 40 years
    Thanks! I was thinking this would work well positioned under the "A" coil but I couldn't find any reference from someone doing it that way. Now I just need to find a tech that is willing to do the job this way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    aprilaire mod 700 shows it can go on the return using hot water
    Thanks for replying, have you ever run a system this way yourself? I've heard it's potentially bad for the heat exchanger to exposed to that kind of moisture. Otherwise I like the controls of that system more than the misters I've looked into. I have a nest thermostat with humi control, but no spare wire to hook it up and I bet I have to pay a mint to pull new wire to it.

Post Likes
    I would rather use the aprilaire up on the return than a mister type. At least you can keep a eye out for problems. Pulling a new wire is easy, its the crawling in the attic that is a pain. The fan powered pulls are thru the pad then blows it back in the air stream. It is not like you're spraying water down the furnace, all the bypass type do the same with the air thru the furnace or air handler. The wire is the easy part. I am not familiar with the nest but could it use a remote sensor then put the stat next to furnace?
    Last edited by buford; 03-27-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRichards View Post
    Thanks for replying, have you ever run a system this way yourself? I've heard it's potentially bad for the heat exchanger to exposed to that kind of moisture. Otherwise I like the controls of that system more than the misters I've looked into. I have a nest thermostat with humi control, but no spare wire to hook it up and I bet I have to pay a mint to pull new wire to it.
    Even using hot water, the 700 on the return won't add enough moisture to worry about the heat exchanger.
    A 600 bypass would put more moisture over the heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    that whole setup is cringe-worthy.

personally, I would not install a humidifier on that system. If you insist on putting in a whole house humidifier in it would be as your pro suggests with a fan head to disperse the humidity into the home directly, not through the ducts. I say all that with some reluctance because I am not a fan of electrode steam humidifiers, or any other heated reservoir humidifier design. I have installed them and will in the future, but I don't like them.

Not a fan of a mister either because if it starts dripping you won't know it and the damn thing can turn into a mess. I like reliable low energy cost solutions that last and personally, I'm not seeing it for your setup.I realize that's not the answer your looking for, but sometimes the doctor needs to tell the patient stuff they really don't want to hear. sometimes reality sucks.

It's for that same reason I would tell you to get that nest off your wall. They are too much trouble. I would pick almost any other thermostat over a NEST.

By the way, who put in that water heater? Seriously, I'd like to know. They need to learn how to do their job before they hurt somebody.

This rosy picture has been brought to you by darctangent. I suspect you will rail against this post, but frankly you came here to get good advice and I'm trying to do that. If you put a humidifier on that duct system you are likely to regret it.

I don't think you've said what part of the country you are in. It's important for us to know that to give you better advice. City,State please.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in