Thread: Summertime shows up quickly....

Post Likes

Summertime shows up quickly....

June 6th 4:52 p.m.

it's 98* with 103* index

68* dew point 77* wb

Record breaker today...

only 1 A/C call?

3 days in a row got 3 more to go with 98*+ days.........so far.

Lot's of beer food and pool parties this weekend.....feel sorry for the fellow on call.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-06-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Post Likes
    Everyone has passed out from the heat....they will call when they wake up....
    97* here in North Atlanta....too hot...too soon...

Joe

Post Likes
    snow flurries in Houston.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Come to find out it hit 99*

in june?

darn cow poots...

Post Likes
    Don't worry. Come monday, there will be plenty of calls for you.

Post Likes

Question

If for no other reason than I started this thread...

Post Likes
    Yep, you jinked yourself.

Post Likes
    We finally hit 85+ here in Wi and I also finally get my HVAC guy to come out to check my AC OD unit on Monday since up until today it has been to cold to even think about turning them on here since we never know if it is going to sleet rain snow or have a tornadoe, LOL !!!! With my luck the temp will drop down to mid 40's and he won't be able to come out

Post Likes
    A former employer said something that seems to be true most times, “ It takes about a week of warmer weather before people get fed up and call.”

A day or 2 fussing with the stat hoping it'll work, a day or 2 not having a clue but looking around for something that might be a problem. A day or 2 looking for spare change and wondering how bad the tabs gonna be. Finally fed up with sweating all the time and not getting any sleep, the call is made.

Seems bout right.

Post Likes
    Remember to drink plenty of fluids while working outside on those units guys (as I'm sure you already do). It seems like the eastern US is getting hit pretty hard these next few days with heat/humidity. I personally love the weather, and I'm glad it brings you all some more business! Reminds me of those few days in the past when I didn't have A/C on days like these... not fun. At least now it's a cool 72 in my house.

Beenthere, are you gonna run any of the calls during the 90*+ weather coming up this weekend in Lancaster?

Post Likes
    No hesitation around here - it got hot, and we got swamped.
    You can't come to my house right now???

Post Likes
    Never seen us so far behind on service. Funny that installs aren't that bad. But seems like every day we get more new calls in than we get run. Got almost everyone working Sat AM but it's friggin' raining. Hopefully will end by the time the troups gather or they won't gather.

Post Likes
    It's gonna be a fun weekend, that's for sure.

Sitting here in my shop/garage and it's 59*, 97%humid and sticky like a mofo.

Supposed to go into the 90's now for a few days and 80's during the week and we always get plastered with the friggin humidity.

Grabbed 45 gals of diesel on the way here.($220)

Throwing some extra's on the rig. (Like 2 tanks 'o freezone and a box fulla runcaps j/k) and fill up the ice water. Usually the first serious heat we get is when it goes totally out of hand. As soon as the weatherman said "hot, humid, and nasty.", the phone started ringing. People like to wait till the very last second till the sweat is dripping off they're noses. Booked 7 for today so far.

Post Likes
    It hit the 90's Friday and for the next week. Had 36 calls in by 9AM and kept coming all day. Worked till 7 last night and 10 hours today with 5 other guys.
    It is a real shock when it goes from the 50's-60's to 90's in 2 days.

Post Likes
    its been hovering between 95 and 100 all this week, 4 of us service techs been handling 10 calls per day, to include the service mgr catching some also. On call guy this weekend was swamped. Mine is next weekend and it don't look any better.
    Gotta love this job!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Don't worry. Come monday, there will be plenty of calls for you.
    From Mon. to Mon.

If nothing else I am playing with some systems at their limits with this heat wave crap.....96* today....suppose to be 92*.......that's like a week straight now. I have two places in particular that are at their absolute limit and when it's 92 the inside raises 1 degree for every degree increase outside if they want it at 70*.

I have 1 Question. I know mass has a big effect. How big? These folks have about 2/3 of their home packed with mass (when I say mass I'm thinking dense woods, bedding material, carpets, huge couches, large flate screen TV.) With that question I'm leaning towards asking how long does it take to heat up? I've tried thinking in terms of specifics heats and what not but I don't have the exp. to just call it like it is.

Nice places. 3rd floors, direct sunlight all day, 1400 sqft., 84' construction, 1 1/2 ton units.

Post Likes
    Mass does and doesn't count.
    A heavy wood coffee table doesn't generate heat. A flat screen(any) TV does as long as its plugged in.

Once the coffee table is at temp, when the A/C shuts off, it absorbs heat slower then the air surrounding it. Wood is an insulator. It also cools down slower then the air around it while the A/C is runnig.
    The TV, once turned on adds more heat yet.

You could figure out the rate of gain or loss for the coffee table, to find out how long it will take to remove or add the heat it absorbed or loss during a set back. But it doesn't add load to a room that the temp is maintained at one set point.

Its the electronics that we have today that really throws off an A/C.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in