Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Homeowner watches ongoing repair worried

I have a contractor repairing my 3 ton a/c who I have known for a long time. After replacing several parts over the last few days, we are running out of options. I do not want to reflect badly on my friend so I will release few details. No small debris in lines. Low pressure switch cuts off compressor about 10 seconds after startup. Low pressure guage goes down to about 20 psi. We believe that there is a solid blockage near the compressor. Can solder droplets come loose from a poor soldering job and block the condenser coil? Any other ideas or comments could help. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJames View Post
    Can solder droplets come loose from a poor soldering job and block the condenser coil? Any other ideas or comments could help. Thanks.

Yes they can, but if this unit has been running for a long time I personally think if that were the issue it sure would have showed long ago. Whats was the high pressure?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Quote Originally Posted by JimJames View Post
    No small debris in lines.
    What do you mean by this?

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

At the beginning of the repair process, while adding freon, the low pressure was too low and the high pressure was about 250 psi and not going down. The day before I called for service the unit cooled well as usual for the hot part of the day but would cool very little that evening. (This is my first post in a forum.)

No small debris in lines means we replaced the capillary assembly and the removed assembly was clear. I could blow throug the big end to all the small tubes.

Not trying to be mean here, but if your still using a capillary tube coil it's really time to come into the 21th century or you will be spending a lot of money on this Dinosaur in the future.

One of the suspect solder connections was done during installation 2 years ago. It was in the vapor line near the outside of the condensing unit. The other connection was done during the repair process between the high side of the compressor and the condenser coil. Can a solder droplet travel through a scroll compressor intact without damaging the compressor?

If there were a high side blockage there would be frost on the line after the blockage. If the blockage were significant then the high side pressure would rise into the 400 PSI and higher range.

It sounds more like a low airflow problem, blocked evaporator coil, bad blower or dirty filter.

Sounds like your friend is a parts changer and not a technician. Is he the one that did the por quality weld?

You need to hire a competent tech that knows the refrigerantion cycle and can troubleshoot not just change parts!!

Thanks for your help. I will post again when we resolve this problem. This sharing of information in forums is very beneficial. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=classical;1881910]

Sounds like your friend is a parts changer and not a technician. Is he the one that did the por quality weld?

You need to hire a competent tech that knows the refrigeration cycle and can troubleshoot not just change parts!!

Why, he's not charging labor while he's just guessing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

[QUOTE=beenthere;1881935Why, he's not charging labor while he's just guessing. [/QUOTE]

I would hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 psig, I'd probably get out the flashlight and start exploring the wonderful world of ductwork. After checking evap coil of course.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Everone should have a imaginary tech as a friend

You said 20 psig on the low whats the line temp? Would def check out the bottom of that coil.Sounds overcharged with a blocked coil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast