Thread: PVC/Condensation pipe blowing cold air

Post Likes

PVC/Condensation pipe blowing cold air

Hello- I'm new here and need to ask a quick question. My wife and I are about to purchase a new home. It has never been lived in and we decided to put together a "make this right" list. I was looking around in the attic and noticed that the one of the air units has a 1" pvc pipe coming out of what looks to be the coil and it is blowing cold air. The pipe is comes out of the side of the unit near the bottom about 2 inches and then make a turn upwards about an inch. There is cold air pouring out of it. I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound right. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Post Likes
    Could this be a secondary, unfinished drain? Anyone, Beuller?

Post Likes
    Is there another pipe near it.

It could be a secondary, but if it goes up shortly after ti comes out of teh coil, it won't drain. Water doesn't like to go uphill.

Post Likes
    It does have a second pipe that appears to be running to a drainage destination. You're correct; water will not travel uphill very well.

Post Likes
    Sounds like it could be an un-primed trap

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nightranger121 View Post
    Sounds like it could be an un-primed trap
    un-primed?

Post Likes
    no water in it- sometimes if you put your hand in front of it quick, it feels like its blowing out when in fact the airhandler is drawing in.

Post Likes

Post pipe

This may have beeen an attempt to put a clean out access into the condensate drainage system whereas a snake could be introduced through this pipe to unclog the drain at either the bottom of the condensate drain pan or somewhere in the line . Of greater concern would be a blockage causing a backup through this open pipe where water could cause property damage specificly wet rot or mold.

Post Likes
    is it a carrier unit?

Post Likes
    It is a goodman unit. One A/C professional that works for this builder stated that it was and exhaust of sorts. ???

Post Likes
    I have never heard of anyone putting a trap on an auxillary drain

Post Likes

Believe it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan29575 View Post
    I have never heard of anyone putting a trap on an auxillary drain
    installing a trap in the condensate pipe coming off the auxiliary drain pan is a code requirement in Anne Arundel Co. Md.

Post Likes
    He also said I could cap it off if I was concerned about draining a coil leak onto the floor of the attic. Suggestions? Thanks, guys.

Post Likes
    that sounds like a riser to help clean primary drain.

Post Likes
    I feel like there should be a running trap before the clean out tee. The trap would prevent air from coming out of the tee. I have worked with guys who have told me that the drain would not work with out the tee open to let air in. However I dont agree, use a running trap then a vent tee with a taller stand pipe.

Post Likes

for get those running traps

Please do not install running traps, I end up changing them out on every service/maintenance. Ever notice how rusted and damp the blower side of the air handler is, P-trap is the way to go. Here in the south, a good 80% of the air handlers are in the attic, damn sure don't want water comming thru the ceiling. Float switch is a must also

Post Likes
    I work on high end computing systems, so excuse my ignorance when it comes to optimal A/C installations. Could someone explain the P-Trap and where it should be installed? You guys have been a great help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in